Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Hope this is the right place, door with water damage?

TX

01-04-14, 07:21 AM   #1  
Hope this is the right place, door with water damage?

Hi, I am in the middle of redecorating my bathroom and I was going to repaint my door when I realized these raised areas. I am pretty sure they are from when the vent in my bathroom went out and moisture collected. Please let me know how I c an fix this. The door is painted with latex acrylic enamel btw.

Attached Images

Sponsored Links

TX

01-04-14, 09:00 AM   #2  
Is it possible to just sand/ prime/ and paint the door? Could that be a solution.

Forum Topic Moderator

TN

01-04-14, 01:42 PM   #3  
Is it the paint that is raised? or has the masonite or MDF gotten wet and swelled some?

Sanding should work although carefully cutting away the raised area with a sharp chisel first will speed thing up. I'd then use a solvent based primer on the affected area as that will seal the substrate. Then it's just a matter of sanding the door lightly and repainting.

retired painter/contractor avid DIYer

Group Moderator

NE

01-04-14, 01:53 PM   #4  
That looks like one of those hollow core pressed paper doors (not masonite or MDF) that has the fake woodgrain pressed into it. As such, when you chisel or sand it, it's going to remove the woodgrain texture and create a pretty noticeable flat spot in the paint finish.

I'd suggest you go to Menards, Home Depot or Lowes and see if you can't just buy an exact match and swap the door out. If you measure the hinge locations exactly, write them down and take that drawing with you when you go door shopping you might be able to find an exact match... buy a prehung that is already hung in the jamb, take it off the hinges and just make the swap. Throw the rest away.

Those doors are dirt cheap.... like $30 on sale.

TX

01-04-14, 05:34 PM   #5  
So I am on a tight budget and remolding the bathroom. I have already blown the budget and have no extra cash, not even 30 to spend on anything else for the bathroom. If I do it carfully do you think it will be to glaringly obvious? Can I replicate the wood gran somehow? Is it better to just leave it and paint over it?

Group Moderator

NE

01-04-14, 07:21 PM   #6  
I wouldn't even waste the effort on painting it, but that's just me. Unless you see a vast improvement, what have you really accomplished? I guess the bumps would be gone, but the flat spots will be very obvious too. I'd save my labor by leaving it as is and then save your pennies for a new door someday down the road. But its your decision. If you want to try it you have nothing to lose but time, effort and a little paint. You also will never know unless you try.

If it turns out well, I will say congratulations. But don't worry- if it turns out poorly no one will rub it in your face or say I told you so. That's why we discuss the pros and cons and ins and outs of DIY improvement.

Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation

VA

01-04-14, 08:40 PM   #7  
I agree, just not worth the time and effort.
Save up and buy a whole new prehung door.
A prehung will save you a day of work and only cost about $20.00 more then a slab.
Looks like someone never painted the door and water got to it.
The doors come primed not painted.

Search this Thread