Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Schlage door knob

CANADA

01-16-14, 02:05 PM   #1  
Schlage door knob

I've seen a lot on this excellent site regarding difficulties with removing knobs, but not about how to affix them once they've fallen off! Mine started pulling off some time ago and for a while just sort of twisting and pushing would reset it, though obviously not correctly, since it was a little out of line. Recently it came off again and for the life of me I can't figure out what ever held it to the cylinder in the first place! It's a Schlage F93 with a GEO knob, as far as I can tell from researching on the net, and it has a flathead driver size impression on the side of the knob neck that slides over the cutout side of the cylinder. That's fine for turning the cylinder/shaft, but what keeps it from pulling off when you grab it?

Does it have anything to do with a clip/half ring gizmo on the cylinder? That came off, and I can get it into what appear to be the right holes if I have the cylinder in my hand, but if I do that the cylinder sits too far out and the knob butts up against the clip and can't slip on. So, I think it needs to go on after the rose is in place, in which case I can't figure out how to get it inside the sleeve without it shooting off to the corner of the room!

Any help or better yet, diagram/photos would be much appreciated. I'd hate to replace the whole set for something that appears to be so minor.

Sponsored Links

CT

01-17-14, 03:26 AM   #2  
Perhaps if would help if you posted some pics?

Group Moderator

NE

01-17-14, 05:14 AM   #3  
Sounds broken. Knobs don't just fall off.

CANADA

01-23-14, 09:45 AM   #4  
pics

Here are some pics - sorry I had to use a phone - out of batteries for my camera.

You can see where the knob, with its punch-out, slides onto that slot on the side of the cylinder, but I can't figure out what holds it in place, unless it is something to do with the clip. The clip seats nicely in the back/rear holes of the cylinder, so I hope that is where it is supposed to go, but if I screw the rose onto the door and fit the cylinder in place, then I can't get the clip inside the flange (?) or outer edge of the rose without it binding and flying off across the room when I try to compress it.

Have I got the idea of how it fits together correct? Any suggestions? Anything look broken or missing? Let me know if a knob pic is needed - not much to see on it.

Hope someone can help, or it's off to Home Depot for a new one before my lady clobbers me for leaving it in this shape so long!

Name:  schlage 1.jpg
Views: 243
Size:  13.3 KBName:  schlage 1.jpg
Views: 243
Size:  13.3 KB

CANADA

01-23-14, 09:53 AM   #5  
better pic

Thought this was clearer and showed the situation better.

Name:  schlage3.jpg
Views: 308
Size:  26.6 KB

CANADA

02-10-14, 09:23 AM   #6  
Hmmmmmmmm

Nobody sees anything in these pics? Last bit of info before I give up - the cylinder pushes back into the door, practically flush with the rose, when it's all assembled instead of staying out where the knob can fit onto the slot. Something is obviously not in place. I also wonder about the slot - is it worn? would crimping it a bit keep the knob in place? Anyway, the slipping cylinder is the main issue, and I think just not knowing how to assemble it properly is half the problem at least.

Search this Thread