Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Interior Improvement Center > Doors, Skylights and Windows
Reload this Page >

New home - frame on interior doors showing cracks

New home - frame on interior doors showing cracks

Old 01-30-14, 05:34 PM
Question New home - frame on interior doors showing cracks

We bought a Lennar home back in May. Overall it's been fine but we're seeing these cracks appear around door frames. Does anyone know the cause and the proper way to repair? I've attached a photo.

Thanks,
Dan

Attached Images  
Sponsored Links
Old 01-30-14, 07:35 PM
Temporarily Suspended
From what I can see, the frame itself is okay. It looks like the molding is separating from the frame. Some paintable caulking may work. Sand it first. Can you post other pics with a wider angle?

Old 01-30-14, 07:53 PM
Group Moderator
I would think you'd have a 1 year warranty for this type of routine repair.

Old 01-31-14, 03:30 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
The painter probably could have used a better caulk. Like X said, if this is new construction the builder should be responsible for making the repair. I routinely had to go back for one builder to recaulk crown molding [caused by it not being nailed correctly] It's best to dig out what you can of the old caulk prior to recaulking.

almost forgot welcome to the forums!

Old 02-09-14, 12:50 PM
Thanks for all the replies and the welcome. Here are some additional similar house photos including a wider one of the doorframe. We are still under the one year warranty but only have about four months left. I really think they used cheap caulk (the lead builder admitted as much) so I'd like to know when I have them come back to repair it, if I bought some for them to use, which is the best to get to ensure it lasts? Unfortunately I don't trust them enough to use the best materials to do the repair.

Thanks,
Dan

Attached Images       
Old 02-09-14, 01:28 PM
Group Moderator
Painters often get blamed when their caulking and painting fails but the real blame is on the carpenters who didn't get the joints tight in the first place. Take for example the joint in the crown moulding. Why is there a gap there in the first place, when that joint should have been tight, glued and nailed together? The same could be said for the miter on the casing, which is clearly gapped open at the bottom of the miter. Now there is also something happening with the entire joint, since it's cracked where the casing meets the jamb... (no nails?) but still, some of that comes down to craftsmanship. The gap where the chair rail moulding" meets the handrail cap could likewise have been tighter. It doesn't even look like it was caulked in the first place.

Some expansion and contraction is normal and unavoidable... but that's also often used as a crutch / excuse. As far as brands go, personally, I avoid DAP Alex... and prefer White Lightning Painters Premium. But depending on who you ask, every painter probably has a favorite brand.

Old 02-09-14, 01:35 PM
Temporarily Suspended
Let them do the repair & you supply the caulk. DAP makes a heavy duty paintable caulking. It's about $9.00

Old 02-10-14, 03:29 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
I'm also partial to the white lightning brand.

Old 02-15-14, 07:04 PM
Thanks for the great suggestions and feedback. I really appreciate it and will get the caulk and supply it to them when they do the warranty repair.

Sincerely,
Dan

Old 02-16-14, 06:36 AM
Door Jambs

I strongly suspect the door jambs were not shimmed when installed. I agree with the other comments.