steel door

Old 03-02-01, 06:34 PM
josh1
Visiting Guest
i am looking to install a benchmark fire rated solid steel door with metal frame. It is of the non prehung type. my ? concerns the thickness of the door frame 6 inches veruses my 2*4 walls. How should i compensate for this difference?
Thanks -----Josh

Old 03-02-01, 07:07 PM
L
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Frame for a pre-hung door for 2X4 walls is 4-9/16" wide. This 6" frame is 1-1/2" wider than that. How about casing the door with 2X4's, wrapped with 18 to 22 ga. sheetmetal?

Old 03-02-01, 08:37 PM
josh1
Visiting Guest
thanks

can i substitue fire proofed pressure treated 2*material for the sheetmetal ---thanks josh

PS i love the fire codes in my area the two doors will be the only thing left if the place catches on fire-- its all wood even siding.

Old 03-02-01, 10:16 PM
L
Fire code?? What sort of a structure are you being required to put this thing in?

Old 03-03-01, 09:29 PM
josh1
Visiting Guest
fire code

its a commercially zoned building. We even have to have a second story fire escape which is where this steel door is going if i ever get around to it. I'm still resting after fighting up all that 5/8 type X drywall ---josh

Old 03-03-01, 09:42 PM
L
Figured it had to be commercial. And now you know why you never see any OLD guys (30+) on a sheetrock delivery crew!! But in answer to your question, ask the bldg. inspector what he will and won't approve. Would hate to see you spend the time and money to do it one way just to have him say "rip it all out and do it some other way". It's been known to happen!

[Edited by lefty on 03-04-01 at 12:53]

Old 03-03-01, 10:28 PM
josh1
Visiting Guest
to lefty

Thanks, ps i like ur name ---josh

Old 03-11-01, 08:13 PM
Visiting Guest
Door

This may be a silly question but is this an exterior door?? These are not usually required to be fire rated. Also, what rating are they requiring on the door? The 6 " dimension you are talking about should be the outside dimension. It's the throat size which should be around 4 3/4" to accomodate 5/8" drywall on a standard stud wall. Measure the thickness of the material you need to cover (drywall. studs, exterior siding) and get the appropriate frame width for that because I doubt the inspector will compromise on the frame itself.

Old 03-16-01, 04:50 PM
josh1
Visiting Guest
door

yes this is an exterior door -don't ask me i'm not the architect- but i did figure out how to get it in -Thanks for your help ----josh

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: