Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Door-Closer Problem : Adjusting screws in closer constantly coming loose

Non-US

02-17-14, 08:01 AM   #1  
Door-Closer Problem : Adjusting screws in closer constantly coming loose

Hi All.

I have a problem i don't think anyone has posted before. In my office we have several fire doors with door-closers model:Geze TS1500. The problem i am having is that some of the door-closers become loose and doors start slamming very quickly (a week or 2) .

The problem i discoverd is the latch and door speed adjustament screws are unscrewing themselves (i marked the screw positions when i'd set them and when i came back they had moved, alot). Its random which doors this has happened to i.e. some of the most used doors are fine and need no adjusting, some of the least used become loose very quickly.

Is their anything i can do try and halt the adjustment screws from coming loose, i was thinking maybe a dab of some sort of thread glue round the screw head (i dont want to risk unscrewing one all the way) might stop the closers from adjusting themselves.

The screws are some sort of plastic not metal, its ridiculous i have doors that constantly become loose and its only a matter of time before the screw heads become worn due to the cheap material they are made out of!

Any help / advice would be greatly appreciated

Regards all

Sponsored Links

TX

02-17-14, 09:27 AM   #2  
Using a small drill bit, drill through screw head sideways and then run a length of tag-wire through hole and tie off to door closer thus preventing screw from turning.

Attached Images

Group Moderator

NE

02-17-14, 03:57 PM   #3  
Put some Loctite threadlocker on the threads.

Non-US

02-18-14, 04:22 AM   #4  
Hi, thanks for the responses.

Rooster i like your solution however the adjustment screws are sunk into the thread with no space around, i will remember this for other problems i encounter though!

I'm worried the threadlocker will damage the plastic screws. Also, i'm not sure if the door-closer will leak if i remove the screws to apply threadlocker to the thread. I think i need to get in touch with the manufacturer to ask them if this is viable. Thanks for the advice all.

Group Moderator

NE

02-18-14, 03:36 PM   #5  
Then use teflon tee paste that plumbers use. Stays sticky... doesn't get hard.

NJ

02-19-14, 07:32 AM   #6  
BobFunk,

(just how did I miss this one, I don't know)

the GEZE TS-1500, the small "block body" closer,

expert in closers here,

this one the speeds are greatly effected by changes in temperature and the wind.

as for self adjusting, I have heard of Dorma TS-83"thinking backcheck" but i have not seen one be able to turn it's on valves, this I think possibly is OTHER PEOPLE at the location the GEZE is located, they may not like your setting, so they speed it up or adjust it to their tastes, then you don't like yours and you end up adjusting it back,

now about plastic valves and use of locktite, there are different types of locktite out there, if you use the wrong one, you may render the closer no longer adjustable, as in stuck in that same speed forever, adjusting it (with locktite in the valves) may ruin the valve if the valve screw was pulled out (unscrewed and comes out of closer body)

another option to go with (more of to detect if a person is adjusting it) if this is the GEZE with a slide on coverplate, put it on like normal then use clear cellotape and tape it down, this way, the next person to adjust it, may have a hard time, and tape may break away and show that the coverplate was removed

another option, put some tape on the valve screws themselves, (another deterrent) again, if holes poked through the tape, someone's been messing with it,

I am sure also GEZE of UK has optional covers (full body plastic or metal covers to cover the whole body) to cut down or deter the unauthorized adjusting by others in the building

also, most closers the valves are "captured" as in there is a notch on the edge of the valve screw hole to prevent the remove of the valve screw past a certain point (edge of closer body) this may not be true on the older GEZE's.

as for use of Teflon tape/paste, some oils (closer oil especially may DISSOLVE the tape or paste and won't fix much)

hope this helps,

-Jess the door closer doctor

Search this Thread