Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Interior Improvement Center > Doors, Skylights and Windows
Reload this Page >

Bi fold closet doors will not close all the way.

Old 02-19-14, 06:45 AM

If anyone knows anything about bi folding closet doors, please chime in. I installed new closet doors. Everything worked out great but...the doors will not close all the way. Even if I pull them out of a closet, they will not extend all the way. Did I not install hinges correctly? I follow the owners manual...any hints?

Attached Images   
Sponsored Links
Old 02-19-14, 09:00 AM
(Disclaimer: I'm not a pro, but I have installed three sets of bifold doors. My comments are based on that limited experience.)

A few questions/ thoughts/ things to check (before the pros chime in!):

When you say "the doors will not close all the way".
1) Do you mean that they don't "flatten out " completely as you try to close them?

If the answer to Q 1 is yes, have you checked to see if the doors are hitting the door frame? (Is the doorway a tiny bit too small for the doors?
Is the fitting on the fixed edge of the door far enough from the door frame?
Same question for the "stop"(?) that is at the other end of the track.[the end towards which the door edge slides]
Try all the combinations-out of doorway and off the track; out of the doorway, but still on the track; and in the doorway, but off of the track.

When you say "Even if I pull them out of a closet, they will not extend all the way."
2) Do you mean that the doors don't flatten out even if they are removed from the doorway and track?
If the answer to Q 2 is yes, then you may have a problem with the hinges.

In your close-up picture, I see little dots opposite the hinge screws. Were those marks to show where to drill for the hinges (unless the hinges came pre-installed.)?
Either way, it looks as if your screw heads extend a tiny bit beyond the plane of the hinge plates.
Is it possible that small extension is what is hitting, and keeping the doors from closing?
I recall a hinge set that had the screw holes tapered rather than cylindrical, with the side of the hole away from the door being wide enough so that the screw head was perfectly flat, aligned with the plane of the hinge.
Finally, are your hinge pins parallel to the edge of the door? If not, the hinges could be binding just a bit...

In any case, Please let us know what happens. Good luck with your project

Old 02-19-14, 12:07 PM
Were the holes for the hinges pre-drilled? To me it looks like the counter-sunk screws are not turned in all the way. See where they are hitting the door in your picture?

Did they come with the hinge? Did the hinge come with the door? Are they too wide, too long?

Is the hinge backwards? Meaning, for counter sunk screws there would be a beveled edge for the tapered top of the screw to "sink" into the hinge. Is that tapered edge facing the door?

Old 02-20-14, 05:11 AM
Hinges

The hinges need to be mortised so that the outer face is flush with the edge of the door. This will reduce the gap between the doors.

Old 02-20-14, 05:34 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
The hinges aren't typically mortised on bifold doors.

Old 02-20-14, 09:40 PM
Group Moderator
Looks like the doors are too tall. There needs to be some space on top between the metal bracket and the tops of the doors. If the bottom adjustable pivot can't be screwed in to lower the doors, then you need to take the doors off and cut about 3/8" off the bottom of the doors with a skilsaw, then reinstall. When you cut veneer doors, you need to score your cut line deeply with a sharp utility knife, then keep the blade from crossing that mark, keeping the blade on the WASTE side of that line. Clamp a straightedge to the door to guide the saw if needed.

Maybe it's just the picture, but there is also a gap on the right side of the door toward the bottom, but no gap at the top. Is the opening narrower at the top than it is at the bottom?

Old 02-21-14, 11:51 AM

All response are appreciated

Here are some of clarifications to your questions,

1. The doors will not flat out. Meaning, I can bull them out of the closet and there is no way the doors will just lay flat.

2. Nothing in these doors was prefabricated for hinges.

3. Can not mortis bi fold hinges, at least not those type

4. I don't think that hinges are backwards, my old door that is being replaced has its hinges in exactly the same position.

5. The holes are patched up because I made a mistake the first time. The hinges were in reverse order, but I don't think that switching them out made any difference.

6. When I loosen the screws the door seems to work better... but its not fixed

Based on responses I am getting from you, I think that hinges are not square and screws are sticking out. But honestly its less then 1/16" that sticks out.

There is a guy that did some work on our house and he is going to stop over this weekend to take a look it. I will keep everyone posted.

Thanks

Old 02-21-14, 12:32 PM
Width

After studying your post and photos, I am understanding that the doors will not close completely so that they are flat across the outside from one side to the other. This condition indicates the door opening is too narrow. You can gain about 1/8 in. by installing the hinges on the inside rather than on the edges.

Shaving the outside edges would be a second choice option.

The hinge screws look like they are not properly seated. The screw should should recess in the beveled edge of the hinge screw hole.

Old 02-21-14, 01:36 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
The hinge screws look like they are not properly seated
Looks that way to me too. Could the hinges be installed backwards? or are the screws too big?

Old 02-21-14, 02:21 PM
Group Moderator
If the screws stick out you must have the hinge turned around. One side is countersubk so the screws sit flush.

Unscrew one hinge and see.