Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Interior Improvement Center > Doors, Skylights and Windows
Reload this Page >

Installed bad windows...bringing in cold air.

Old 02-19-14, 05:21 PM
B
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts

Hello, how is everyone doing? I hope everyone is doing good. It seems to me that my parents installed new windows a few years ago. Apparently, they are not that good. I feel cold air coming through sometimes from the areas surrounding them. It's a little bit too late to return them or call the guy and tell him about it. They don't really want to spend the money to install new ones again. Are there any other alternatives?

Old 02-19-14, 07:25 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,910 Upvotes on 1,716 Posts
Even the best window, if installed poorly, is going to let cold air in.

You really haven't provided any information for us to go on. Are these vinyl? Wood? Aluminum? Did your parents have replacement windows installed into the existing old frames (retrofit) or... was the entire old frame torn out, and a new construction style window (with nailing fin) installed in its place? Can you post some pictures? If you can narrow down where the cold air is coming from, that would help. A smoking incense stick on a windy day will tell you where the air leaks are. Whether it's at the edge of the sash (the moving part of the window that holds the glass which opens and closes) or if it's at the perimeter of the masterframe (the main frame of the window that holds the sash or sashes) and you feel the air coming out from where the trim meets the window, or maybe where the trim or window meets the drywall.

A picture of the exterior might help as well. Sometimes you can tell just by looking whether a window is a replacement window or if it's got a nailing fin. Once we have some more information we might be able to give some intelligent replies. Otherwise it is a free for all of people blindly giving suggestions guessing what the problem could be.

Old 02-20-14, 07:50 PM
B
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Here is one window...would these leak out cold air?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c-o9lix4jpA&feature=youtu.be

Old 02-20-14, 08:25 PM
J
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Move the sashes from left to right, how much movement do you get? Looks like to much from that shaky video.
Only need just enough so they can still move. To much movement and they where shimmed wrong.
Who caulk the windows?
It all needs to be removed and redone with a better caulking and there's 0 need to have that much all over the stool and frame.
Only need enough to fill the gap.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: