Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Basement Windows

MO

02-20-14, 09:14 AM   #1  
Basement Windows

Hi All,

I am looking to replace my basement windows. I have read through some previous posts on the subject. Is this type of window where I would cut the top frame with a reciprocating saw and pry it off? Also, is this something worth a do it yourselfer to tackle?

Any suggestions on where to purchase? I would like some sort of privacy window for the bathroom area that lets a good amount of light in and still has the ability to vent well. I like the glass block but would like more ventilation then they have to offer.

Also, in the laundry room the dryer vent is currently incorporated in the window, do they make ones like this, or would it be worth installing a dryer vent separately? I have included pictures of interior and exterior to help understand what I am working with. Thank you in advance for your help!

Attached Images

Sponsored Links
Temporarily Suspended

NY

02-20-14, 04:21 PM   #2  
You can cut it all back to the block, if that what you want, to do. It's all doable. If the big box stores have a limited selection, find a supply house with a better choice. A separate vent for the dryer is better than using a window.

Group Moderator

NE

02-20-14, 08:52 PM   #3  
I would not suggest you cut the metal off, this is not that type of window that you can just pry down and cut. On a poured foundation like that you really don't gain much of anything by removing it.

Definitely move the dryer vent to it's own location away from the window.

MO

02-21-14, 09:07 AM   #4  
Thank you for the replies. I have located the original dryer vent location that was sided over, so I am going to install rigid duct from there to the dryer to alleviate the window venting. Luckily it is only a 20ft run and my dryer has 50ft max with 2 elbows so I feel comfortable with a 20ft vent. I can't vent directly outside the laundry room because it is brick on the outside, so have to take venting to back of house where there is siding, thus reason for 20ft of duct.

In regards to not cutting the metal off, how would you suggest new windows? As you can guess the ones pictured don't keep the cold out very well and don't have screens to vent. What I thought I would gain by removing the metal would be an opening to install the new window. With the way the metal is shaped to hold and stop the window, I don't see a good way to install a new window within the metal frame.

MO

02-24-14, 12:20 PM   #5  
I was able to find the manufacture out and locate replacement vinyl sliding windows for the existing frame, they clip right in! Now I just have to take old windows out, remove rust on frame, prime and paint and clip the new windows in!

Search this Thread