new front door sill too deep

Old 02-22-14, 05:54 AM
new front door sill too deep

My new front door arrived, and I see that the metal door sill is deeper than the old sill. As a result, the new sill will hang off the elevated portion of my concrete slab by almost 2 inches.

What options do I have?

Here's my old door, looking down at the sill:
Name:  IMG_0526 (Medium).jpg
Views: 825
Size:  43.0 KB

A close-in shot of my old door sill. The concrete slab dips down about 1.5 inches to my small front patio:
Name:  IMG_0527 (Medium).jpg
Views: 2510
Size:  38.8 KB

Here's my new door. Notice the deeper metal sill that extends all the way to the end of the brick molding:
Name:  IMG_0528 (Medium).jpg
Views: 643
Size:  21.9 KB

Sponsored Links
Old 02-22-14, 08:28 AM
Super Moderator
Really only one solution. Support the front of the sill with a piece of PT wood ripped to the correct height and depth. If you make it a snug fit it can be held in place with adhesive. Or you can drill into the concrete and use a few tapcons.

Old 02-22-14, 08:43 AM
Group Moderator
Another solution is to pour a concrete step under the new threshold. Make it 8" front to back and the width of the door unit. You may want to drill and pound a couple of short pieces of rebar or bolts in to the walkway to help hold it in place. You can also lay in a couple of pieces of horizontal rebar for extra strength or a piece of hardware cloth.

Old 02-22-14, 10:26 AM
Thanks for the tip. That sounds like a good solution. If it was your door, would you paint the PT wood before installing it? Maybe I could add a piece like this to protect the wood.

Old 02-22-14, 10:29 AM
Adding concrete does sound like a more permanent solution. I think I'd be nervous trying that myself with my limited concrete experience, especially on such a visible part of my house.

Old 02-22-14, 10:52 AM
Super Moderator
It depends on how much weather exposure it would get, but yes...I would get a good dry piece of PT and prime and paint it to match the house colors. I don't think you need the metal piece. Just set the wood back 1/4" from the edge. You may get a few scuffs, but a new coat of paint will take care of that.

I've lived where the wood support like that lasted the 16 yrs I lived there.

One other note....I hate to say it...but you should have ordered your new door with the extended frame for a storm door. Even if you don't want one now...you might later. As it sits, you'll have a bit of work ahead if you decide to put one on.

Old 02-22-14, 12:56 PM
Group Moderator
I would either use Axek pvc or maybe a composite deck plank ripped to the needed size. Neither would rot. Both are a permanent color. white/gray/tan/etc.

Old 02-22-14, 01:02 PM
Super Moderator
Good point X....

I've done that before as well...depending on overhang.

Old 02-22-14, 07:30 PM
The PVC option is appealing for low maintenance. I'm finding boards like this one at Lowes, which isn't thick enough. I'd have to take two pieces and glue them together. But that might work well. Thanks for that tip.