Door Hinge Binding

Old 02-24-14, 07:11 AM
Door Hinge Binding

Background, old house, installing a new 34" white oak door (interior) which is replacing a hollow 32" door, they were charging me about $150 more to be prehung, se decided to do it myself and build the jambs. Started down this journey last wknd and everything worked fine except the door wasn't aligned properly and the jambs and door stops all full of nail holes from removing them and reinstalling them so many times so I decided to start fresh yesterday. Bought new jambs and door stop and started, everything seems fine, routed the hinges holes as before on the jambs, there is about 1/8" in all sides except the hinge side, from the middle hinge to the top there is about 1/16-1/8" but from the center hinge to the bottom is biding, no gap whatsoever, the previous installed did not have this issue, I wonder what I did wrong with the hinges that are now binding the bottom of the door therefore I need to apply more pressure to close the door.

I am using spring loaded hinges, door opens in, I need some help because I have the hinges on a lot of pressure so the door can close, I'd like to fix this issue even if it means replacing the whole thing again.

Sponsored Links
Old 02-24-14, 12:29 PM
Group Moderator
Sounds like either the hinge is mortised too deep or your jamb is twisted due to the way it is shimmed and secured.

Old 02-24-14, 03:08 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Have also seen where the door is binding on the stop (which may be the same as what XSleeper is saying, only several different ways to interpret "mortise too deep").

Old 02-24-14, 05:10 PM
Group Moderator
No, I was going by his comment, "there is about 1/8" in all sides except the hinge side, [...] from the center hinge to the bottom is biding, no gap whatsoever".

By mortise too deep I mean that someone chiselled out too much wood and that the hinge may be sitting too deep in the mortise so that it is countersunk into the mortise (and would not be laying flush with the door edge).

I guess one other thing that wasn't mentioned... door slabs sometimes come with a bevel on the side, or sides. The bevel is usually meant to be on the leading edge of the latch side to provide more clearance as the door closes. If your door is also bevelled on the hinge side, it's likely that your mortises are also bevelled, when they should not be. If the bottom hinge is the only one you are having trouble with, you may need to remove the bottom hinge where it attaches to the door slab and shim behind the hinge (probably the half that is closest to the door stop).