Childproofing Windows

Old 03-09-14, 01:11 AM
Childproofing Windows

Hello There!
Could someone help me out with an idea for childproofing casement windows that open inward. We live on the 8th floor and we've got 6 of these casement windows to babyproof before spring comes and the temperatures start skyrocketing.

Idealy we would like to be able to crack the windows but have them blocked before opening too wide. I thought of putting up a chain (kinda like the security chains on doors) or a gluing on a safety strap between the two windows with enough slack to let me open them a bit.

But my concern is how to attach either one to the window, which are made of aluminum. If I go for the chain option it would require drilling holes in the aluminum, and my wife is not too keen on leaving holes in all the windows.

As for the straps, what type of glue would work well with aluminium and synthetic materials?

Any ideas on these two options or any additional ideas for childproofing these windows?

Many thanks!!

Paul

Attached Images  
Sponsored Links
Old 03-09-14, 04:16 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
You could possibly use an adhesive velcro strip on one rail at the top with an adhesive velcro strap on the other one. Velcro would allow you to leave it attached and you can open and close the windows to the same location every time. Sort of like a flexible stop measure. Plus it's adjustable.

Old 03-09-14, 06:23 AM
Group Moderator
One caution would be that it would be illegal to do anything like that to windows in bedrooms since they are the fire escape.

Old 03-09-14, 08:31 AM
Super Moderator
I think just screwing a stop of some sort to the shelf below the window would be the best solution. Could easily be broken off by an adult...but not a child.

8th floor? Unless there is an actual fire escape outside...doubt the egress would be much of an issue.