Measuring for a pre-hung with step-down sill

Old 03-09-14, 10:45 AM
Measuring for a pre-hung with step-down sill

I'd like to replace an old exterior door in our house and am hoping I can use a pre-hung.

My understanding for measuring the height is go from the header to the bottom of the sill, but my door's sill has a step down (interior is higher than the exterior). Is it possible to use a pre-hung for this opening? If so, how should I measure?

Photo attached and I can provide more if clarification is needed.

Thanks!

Name:  door_sill_stepdown.jpg
Views: 446
Size:  27.6 KB

Sponsored Links
Old 03-09-14, 11:03 AM
Group Moderator
Yes. When you tear the old door out, the sloped sill on the outside will most likely need to be removed, and then built back up so that it is flat and level (no longer sloped) to the right level for your new prehung door. Prehung doors usually sit in a rough opening that is about 1/2" below the level of the interior floor. Sometimes this means the door will be taller than before and will need new trim.

Old 03-09-14, 12:46 PM
Thanks for the explanation!

Just to make sure I'm completely clear I should measure to the higher side correct?

Old 03-09-14, 02:35 PM
Group Moderator
well... kind of. I guess I'm not sure why you are overly worried about measuring. There is probably no question that a prehung door will fit, since the entire old jamb and sill will be torn out. I guess if you are just trying to picture where the door will sit, then remove your aluminum threshold and measure the distance from your finished floor to the wood sill. If that measurement is about 1/2" more or less, then yes, that is basically the level that the door will be sitting. Most prehungs will be roughly 82" tall when the height is measured tip to tip. The bottom of the door itself starts about 1 1/4" up from the bottom of the door threshold, so if the door sits 1/2" below the finished floor the door will have 3/4" of room to clear a rug as it swings open. That's assuming your finished floor is level.