Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Hang door without a jamb? (or least one piece of jamb on the hinge side)?

NY

03-13-14, 12:17 PM   #1  
Hang door without a jamb? (or least one piece of jamb on the hinge side)?

Has anyone ever hung a door without a three sided jamb? I have a finished closet (drywall, edge bead, etc) that needs a door put on it. It is in a cramped corner with a low ceiling, and unfortunately, there is no room at the top or opening side to put any trim casings. I know i could shorten the door height and width but that's my last resort.

There is room however to put trim on the hinge side. Can I use just one vertical jamb member? After cutting out a little drywall, the hinge side jamb could be glued and screwed into the wall/studs, but not sure if this is secure enough to keep it from tipping without a cross jamb member at the top (the door i have is a hand me down, and is 1 3/4 thick and fairly heavy).

Thanks all!

Sponsored Links
Forum Topic Moderator

TN

03-13-14, 12:47 PM   #2  
Welcome to the forums!

I've hung shop/shed doors directly to the stud before ..... if that's what you mean. If you remove the drywall will there be room for the jamb? The jamb is what the hinges and door stop attach too, the casing is the trim that goes around the opening hiding the gap between the jamb and the wall covering.

retired painter/contractor avid DIYer

NY

03-13-14, 01:31 PM   #3  
Marksr, i intend to remove the drywall that currently cover the stud on the side of the hinges. I was then hoping to mount the door and hinge to a single board/jamb, which would then screw into the stud. i'm actually going to need a spacer block there, so it will be from outside in - stud, space 2x4, jamb, hinge, door. i would put trim around this area. still wanting no jamb at the top of the door or on the opening side.

CAL

03-13-14, 04:42 PM   #4  
Hi, Why not. Go with your idea with the hinge side. Run the casing (trim) on the hinge side from the floor to the ceiling. On the latch side of the door install some door stop on the sheetrock to keep the door from closing too far. You can't install a regular door latch so get a stout cabinet door latch and a cabinet door handle. You will need a longer screw for the handle. You don't need any thing for the top.
Good Luck Woodbutcher

Search this Thread