Retrofit Window Install

Old 03-16-14, 11:05 AM
Retrofit Window Install

Hi, I'm installing new retrofit windows (Jeld-Wen), but not obvious to me where fixing screws need locating - sides only, or top and bottome also? Some windows are around 5ft wide and seems would need a at least one screw to hold on top and bottom. Some instructions I find say fix only on the sides. The Jeld-Wen instructions are not clear (to me!) on this.

Sponsored Links
Old 03-16-14, 11:09 AM
Group Moderator
Hard to say without knowing what model of window you have. If this is a vinyl window, some companies provide predrilled holes for installation screws. Others do not. On most vinyl window frames, the screws not only secure the window, but they also help keep the frame from bowing in or out like an hourglass. But depending on the style of window, you can't always just put an installation screw anywhere since (as on some double hungs) the head of the screw could interfere with the operation of the window plus screws should usually be hidden from view so they they aren't seen.

Old 03-16-14, 11:54 AM
"Premium" series sliders from Jeld-Wen, retrofit, not nail-fin. Seems something needed on top to stop bowing out as you say.

Search this Thread