Fixing a broken window lock

Old 03-20-14, 12:59 PM
P
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Fixing a broken window lock

Hopefully I can describe this properly. I can provide pictures if needed.

I bought my home three years ago. During the Inspection, the Inspector managed to bust the kitchen window 'lock'. I have been unable to open this window for three years as a result. I've been too busy doing other renovations to worry too much about this one window but now that I'm starting to work on renovating this space I would like to get this window lock fixed.

The lock in question is activated by pressing knobs on the top and bottom of the window. The window itself slides left to right, not out. It was a brand new window at the time I purchased the property (I have no idea why the lock broke so easily!). For awhile I could 'trick' the lock by inserting a knife into the upper knob and pushing down while pushing up on the bottom knob but that trick no longer works (I have no idea why).

Any advice would be appreciated. I am, I think understandably, hesitant to mess around with this too much but if I can fix it myself I would rather fix it myself. I'm not too keen on bringing a professional in if it's just a matter of installing a new lock or some such.

Thank you in advance.

Old 03-20-14, 01:58 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 835 Upvotes on 732 Posts
Welcome to the forums!

I'm not sure I know the answer but those that do would benefit from knowing what brand windows you have, pics might help too - http://www.doityourself.com/forum/el...-pictures.html

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: