Replacing glass in vinyl window.

Old 03-24-14, 08:50 AM
Thumbs up Replacing glass in vinyl window.

Hello, sorry if this is posted in the wrong forum. I installed a few new vinyl windows a few years back in a house I inherited. I decided to rent it and just noticed the one window is cracked badly. I need to replace the glass. I imagine this is possible, but I have no clue what would hold the glass in the frame. Thanks as always!
Jack

Sponsored Links
Old 03-24-14, 09:01 AM
Super Moderator
It all depends on the window. Some are held with adhesive tape and glazing strips (basically just trim). Some actually have the frame assembled around the glass and have to be cut apart then re-glued. Since you installed them...I would contact the manufacturer for instructions or take the sash to a glass shop that does those repairs.

Yes...there is a better Forum...I'll move it there.

Old 03-24-14, 04:21 PM
Group Moderator
In many windows the glass is not replacable on it's own. The entire sash is replaced. Look inside the frame or bottom edge of the sash for a manufacturers name and hopefully model or job number.

Old 03-24-14, 06:17 PM
Group Moderator
I've never run into a window where you couldn't replace the glass. Post some closeup pictures of the inside and outside of the frame and we will walk you through it. If the entire sash is removable, taking it to a glass shop so they can do it will save you a lot of headaches.

Old 03-24-14, 08:22 PM
Ok, thanks all. I haven't looked at it closely yet. I just happened to notice it the other day when I was showing the house to potential tenants. I will keep you updated. Thanks again! Jack

Old 03-25-14, 07:20 AM
Group Moderator
In sashes with argon filling and other high tech stuff the glass panel is a sealed unit. On the several I've encountered the manufacturer builds the vinyl frame up around the glass core, welding it together into one unit. On non high tech sashes they often have a vinyl strip almost like a spline for a screen that you can pry out to remove the glass. There is no standardization in window manufacturing so it will just depend on what you've got.

In one house I had the glass could not be removed and I could not find any manufacturer information. Luckily one pane was OK so I finished breaking out the broken one. I got vinyl trim strips from the home center and ripped them to fit the space between the panes. I used caulk to hold them in place between panes as a spacer all around the perimeter then glued on another piece of glass and trimmed the outside with more vinyl trim. Three years and it still looks good and surprisingly there is no fogging between the panes.