Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Interior Improvement Center > Doors, Skylights and Windows
Reload this Page >

"homemade" Double Pane Windows Need Inside Cleaning

Old 03-24-14, 03:29 PM

Hello- I know this is strange, but we bought the house like this.

We have a room that has 3 72"x72" pieces of home made double glass. Its basically 2 pieces of thin glass separated by a piece of 1" wide wood. Home made double pane glass.

The problem is that they are dusty on the inside and look foggy (pict enclosed). Is there a way to clean the inside of these? We had a couple quotes to have them replaced and its over $7K.

Any advice or thoughts?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Attached Images   
Sponsored Links
Old 03-24-14, 04:01 PM
Group Moderator
My first thought would be that you should find the guy that did that and put a potato in his tailpipe. I know, it wasn't your idea... you bought the house that way. Your option (other than replacement... and $7000 is way too high- call a commercial city glass company, not a contractor... they should be able to do it for $2-3000) would be to remove either the interior stop or exterior stop and see if the glass can be removed to the inside. Harbor Freight might have some cheap suction cups you could buy to help with removing and lifting the glass, but if you have never worked will glass before you probably run a high risk of breaking them. And depending on how the bonehead put them together, they may be impossible to get out without breaking them.