Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Interior Improvement Center > Doors, Skylights and Windows
Reload this Page >

Basement window replacement....enlarge opening?

Old 03-25-14, 07:48 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts

Our current basement windows are the standard single pane aluminum hopper, in a metal frame which was set in the poured foundation.

Since the current size is pretty odd (31 x 12.5) Im "stuck" with custom ordering. I dont mind doing so, I just havent found any half decent products that seem worth it. Lowes wants $116 per window, but the windows they are specing kind of stink (efficiency wise they are OK, but the weather strips are felt, hardware is really thin plastic, etc)

Was wondering if this seems like a nuts idea - what about cutting 2" from the bottom of the opening? The foundation is 8" thick, BUT the windows Im looking at are about 3" jamb depth, so I would go maybe 4" into the foundation instead of all 8". Then the remaining 4" that arent cut would serve as a stop for the new window. I would be cutting only from the bottom so as not to disturb the lentil at the top of the window. I will remove the sides and bottom of the existing metal frame, leaving the top alone (Ive removed one of these frames before, so I know I can do it).

Cutting the 2" gives me enough height for a 15" tall window, which is much more common and allows me to get a slider with better weatherstrip and hardware.

Does this seem feasible? Or should I just custom order and wait (FWIW, custom order for the existing size window only allows a hopper window)

Thanks.

-Chris

Sponsored Links
Old 03-25-14, 03:45 PM
Temporarily Suspended
Did you only look at custom windows from Lowes? Look for a place that just handles windows & doors.

Old 03-25-14, 04:02 PM
Group Moderator
Received 243 Votes on 224 Posts
Can you include a picture of the interior of your wall?

Old 03-25-14, 05:45 PM
Did you only look at custom windows from Lowes? Look for a place that just handles windows & doors.
Checked Lowes and HD first, called a local WindowRama. They are all about the same price and providing the same basic quality window (i.e. not great). Note that I priced out a 15" high "custom" window, but Im guessing 13" would be the same deal (hopper instead of slider, but again around same price)

Can you include a picture of the interior of your wall?
Sure! Pardon the mess around it....there are two windows to do, the other wall isnt unfinished but I would be cutting from the outside in. The one in the pic is below ground so I would try to cut from inside out since its easier to access. As you can see, there is no interior wall where this window is so I have full access to the foundation. Ive already replaced one of the steel windows with a glass block window, so I know what is necessary to remove the steel frame. The cut I would need to make would actually be lower than the "lip" on the frame, so it wouldnt necessarily be in the way until I was done cutting.

Name:  IMG_20140325_193401 (Medium).jpg
Views: 4129
Size:  37.1 KB

Old 03-25-14, 05:59 PM
Group Moderator
is there cement block behind that parging or is it a solid poured wall?

Old 03-25-14, 06:00 PM
Solid poured wall. The house was built in 1966, no filled block here.

Old 03-25-14, 09:53 PM
Group Moderator
Here is the tool you want to rent, if you can find one. It is "the bomb" for cutting inside corners in cement. Put on your rain gear and rubber boots though. You'll probably get a little wet and muddy.

Old 03-26-14, 03:18 AM
While I probably could find one, are there any other suggested alternatives?

I'd like to avoid running a gas saw indoors.... and I'm not sure there is enough room in the window well to go at it from the outside

Old 03-26-14, 04:32 AM
Received 90 Votes on 83 Posts
Why aren't you putting in glass block in these windows? Sounds like the cheap and simple solution.

Old 03-26-14, 05:28 AM
Want to retain some venting and "we" dont prefer the look of glass block. I have a gb "window" on the unfinished side of the basement, with a small vent panel. WAF on using those again is low.

Id have to take out the existing steel frame either way (I did for the other one), at that point I could put in a 31x13 window (HD has that size on the shelf, go figure) but if I bumped the opening up to 31x15 is more visible glass *and* I can put in a slider instead of being forced to use a hopper.