Replacing door sill question

Old 03-25-14, 03:49 PM
D
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Replacing door sill question

Hello all. My door sill needs replaced and I have a question about the removal of the old sill. As you can see in the pictures, the edges of the metal sill are overlapped by the door framing. It's an entry door with a sidelite. The sidelite framing really overhang the sill on the interior. It looks to me the only way to get the sill out and install a new one is to start ripping the framing and sidelite apart. Is there any other options that anyone knows of? This seems like a bad design in my opinion for future repairs.

It need's replaced because the seal is broke and the adjuster piece that rides up or down to meet the bottom of the door is broke.

Thanks

Old 03-25-14, 04:10 PM
Group Moderator
Received 783 Votes on 721 Posts
You will need to remove the door and sidelight from the wall and lay it down so that ypu can temive the old sill and attach the nrw one to the jambs. It has nothing to do with it being "a bad design", that's just the way it is.

Old 03-25-14, 04:18 PM
D
I appreciate the reply. Thats what I was thinking. I don't mean it doesn't work, it just isn't an easy fix for an inevitable repair.

The entire assembly is about 3-4 years old.

Old 03-25-14, 04:58 PM
Group Moderator
Received 783 Votes on 721 Posts
Right. Dropping the transmission to replace the rear main seal on your engine isn't convenient either... its just the nature of the beast. I can't tell if your current sill is all aluminum or if it has some wood components under the threshold... but if it is, look into finding a supplier for a composite / aluminum sill and adjustable threshold. If you can find one, the sill will probably outlast the rest of the jambs that way.

Old 03-25-14, 05:41 PM
D
It's aluminum with a plastic adjustable threshold. I'm not sure if there is wood underneath or not. The plastic adjuster is one of the things that broke due to the original owner not putting the proper seal on the bottom of the door. He just cranked the adjuster the whole way up and it broke after being stepped on.

What I think I may try is remove the broken weather seal (rubber/plastic lip that meets the bottom of the door at the back of the sill) and see if I can find a suitable replacement. Also remove the adjustable plastic threshold and replace it, along with putting a better seal on the bottom of the door. The aluminum sill is fine, just needs the old caulk removed and redone. I have a new aluminum sill with an adjustable oak threshold that I bought.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: