How to correctly order a door?

Old 03-31-14, 09:39 AM
B
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
How to correctly order a door?

I have two doors to replace. I've removed the old doors and the frame so all I have is the rough opening. One door one, a bed room door, the opening is 32x82x4.5. When ordering right or left handed, do you order if you're in the room opening the door inward or outside of the room opening the door in as you step into the room? This part has always confused me. So I guess it's right vs left, outswing vs inswing.

Old 03-31-14, 10:00 AM
Super Moderator
Received 6 Upvotes on 6 Posts
Just make a little drawing and show the salesperson. Easiest way. If yer ordering from a Big Box store, their ordering software will also have diagrams.

That said...when I first started...I told people "Stand with you back to where you want the hinges. Which arm would imitate the swing of the door? Thats the handing you want."

Interior doors aren't in-swing or out-swing....they are only handed since they can be installed swinging either way and have no weatherstripping or sill.

Old 03-31-14, 04:57 PM
Received 721 Upvotes on 640 Posts
Typically an interior door swings into a room. Unless for space or convenience you want it to swing out of the room. Typically your door hinges (the pin part that is visible when door is closed) will be on the inside of room. So looking from the outside of a bedroom if the door knob is on the left and it swings into the room its a right hand swing door.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: