Patio Door Replacement

Old 04-03-14, 06:10 PM
Patio Door Replacement

I have a sliding glass patio door that needs replacing. It's 30 years old and shattered. It is in my breezeway, so we're not talking about a perfectionist job needed. On the outside wall there is trim I can take off. The inside wall has no trim of any kind, so I can see the hole in my wall exactly.

Question is this. I want to put an inexpensive sliding door in there. The door I'm looking at is 70 3/4"W x 79 1/2"H and the hole in my wall is 74"W x 82 3/4"H. Is this a fairly simple project for an only mildly handy handyman? Will it be as simple as building out the frame a couple inches?

Pics of the new door and old attached...

Attached Images   
Sponsored Links
Old 04-03-14, 06:36 PM
Group Moderator
I don't know if simple is the right word to use, but yes, you would make your rough opening about 71 3/4 x 80 by padding the sides down with a combination of dimensional lumber and plywood that is ripped to the right wall thickness. You'd need to drywall the perimeter inside probably unless you wanted to use some real wide trim. And you'd need to trim the outside too to fill in the extra space. And depending on what kind of floor covering you have inside, your new door will probably set farther out in the wall than your existing one, leaving a bare patch on the floor in front of the door.

It would probably make more sense to get a different type of door that is closer to the size of your existing. Unless price is your only driving factor.

If the door works fine otherwise, why not just replace the broken glass with a new tempered IGU?

Old 04-04-14, 07:33 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Someone just left off the jamb extensions to finish out the install. Nothing more then 1X pine ripped to the width needed to go from the doors frame and sit flush with the sheetrock.
When you go to remove the brick moulding on the other side it's easiest to use a small nail punch and drive the nails in then pry it off.
The nails will have less holding power.
Remove the glass panels before the frame comes out.
Use a sawsall to just cut off the nails or screws holding the frame in place.