Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Window inserts leaking

ME

04-18-14, 11:41 AM   #1  
Window inserts leaking

I am converting a deck to an enclosed sun room. The original railing had glass panels. I sized the deck panel width myself so I could place standard commercial door glass as panels. Basically, a frame of 2 by 6, with a small strip on front and back holding the glass in. Worked great. However, I am now trying to use the same glass panels as lower windows in the sun room. I removed the glass and used a pvc trim to form the exterior support the glass would rest against. Caulked the inside with silicone and placed the glass. I then applied pvc trim on inside to secure glass, and trimmed the window. Looked great, but leaks like crazy when rain and wind hits it. I did the same thing with a vinyl clad "replacement window" from Lowes for the upper windows; I placed a replacement window into the framed hole, screwed it at sides, caulked, and am leaking....

What did I do wrong. Should I have used a glazing compound instead. How would a professional approach this project. I know that an ideal solution is a window for new construction with fins... Can I fix this with same windows. I am happy to remove them, but cant afford to toss these windows out and use 'new construction' windows...

How can one waterproof a window like this that is set into a wood frame (hole in the wall)...

Last edited by dave9; 04-18-14 at 12:11 PM.

Sponsored Links
Temporarily Suspended

NY

04-18-14, 04:43 PM   #2  
You caulked from the inside but what did you do from the outside? Some pics might help, from both sides.

NY

04-19-14, 04:20 AM   #3  
"I removed the glass and used a pvc trim to form the exterior support the glass would rest against. Caulked the inside with silicone and placed the glass."

I'm not sure what you caulked. I assume you caulked the inside edge of the exterior stop with silicone. That should seal the exterior. Glazing tape would be a better choice.

NY

04-19-14, 04:39 AM   #4  
Glazing compound would be better but there is a removable (ZIP-A-WAY) silicone caulk by Red Devil.

ME

04-20-14, 05:30 AM   #5  
The attached pictures show the original railing with panel (corner shot) - the trim was screwed down to hold the glass panel in place and allow easy removal. I incorporated the same frame into the new wall of sun room with pressure treated plywood and siding. I removed the original pressure treated wood trim holding the glass panel in place and substituted for pvc one inch trim. I screwed the exterior trim pieces into place, applied silicone caulk to inside trim and pushed window into place, then applied caulk at perimeter on inside, and screwed the pcv interior trim in place. Water is coming in above and under window only when it rains directly at window (ie heavy wind), but when it does there is significant water. I am at a loss how to flash the edges as the exterior glass is not flush with exterior wall panel. I have siding around window opening. I know it would have made more sense to use a new construction window with fin, but I was trying to save a little and reuse the glass which was fine for this project. I am going to remove the lower windows and start fresh but need help is how to do it right....

Attached Images

NY

04-20-14, 07:02 AM   #6  
I'm not sure I understand everything you did, but you should apply caulking (glazing compound would be better) at the point that the glass meets the wood frame on the outside. No need to caulk after that. If water still gets in then its not at the glass joint but some other location within the frame work. Your whole frame (outside edges) should be sealed or caulked.

ME

04-20-14, 11:56 AM   #7  
See attached drawing. Imagine a hole in an exterior wall, 6 inches deep, sheathed in pressure treated plywood. Then a piece of commercial glass that fits hole exactly. I attached trim on outer edge to push glass against. I caulked under it and screwed it to frame. I then caulked edge of trim on outside and pressed glass in. I then secured glass with similar trim on the inside. I then caulked the outside edge between trim and glass. The lower sill is flat not sloped. I'm going to take it apart and start over but need suggestions.

Attached Images

ME

04-20-14, 12:39 PM   #8  
Here is an example looking from outside. The glass is between the two trim pieces.
Imagine plywood sheathing forming exterior wall around this 2 by 6 frame. If I apply glazing putty to edge where wood meets glass, what sealant should I use to seal the edge where the trim holding window in place meets the 2 by 6 frame. You can't flash it, so I relied on caulk alone; a lot of it.

Attached Images

Search this Thread