Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Window leaks on a windy rainy day

MO

04-23-14, 11:18 AM   #1  
Window leaks on a windy rainy day

My house is facing west and one of the front window leaks on stormy rainy day. Couple of contractors took a look at it and they could not figure out the source of the leak. The leak is coming from inside top of the window where it meets the wooden frame.

The front side of the house is stone veneer covered and there is a window directly above this one which does not leak. Please see the pictures for details.

Any help in identifying where the water gets in would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Forum Topic Moderator

VA

04-23-14, 01:54 PM   #2  
I would start by looking at the bottom seal of the window above as the source of water getting behind the veneer. Many times you will find the mortar on the upper window cracked if not sealed with a flexible caulking. Or that caulking has dried out.

PA

04-23-14, 05:12 PM   #3  
Undoubtedly, I would be looking at the sill of the upper window.

Group Moderator

NE

04-23-14, 06:20 PM   #4  
I agree with the above and would also add that mortar is not waterproof, so you could also have water wicking back through the mortar or through hairline cracks anywhere between those windows.

What is that sticking out on the right side of the picture, above and to the right of the lower window?

MO

04-25-14, 11:59 AM   #5  
Thanks for the info.

Thanks for the info. Xsleeper, I have added a picture of the window and right side of the porch.

Group Moderator

NE

04-25-14, 01:42 PM   #6  
Less likely than the sill above... but you could also check out the flashing details along that shingled roof above the downspout and to the left of the downspout. Water could certainly be migrating out from a poorly flashed corner or where the trim meets the masonry.

Hit the area hard with a hose for 10-15 minutes and see if you can recreate the leak. But don't spray all the areas at the same time or you won't narrow it down. Do one spot for 10-15 minutes... then wait 1 hr to give it time to seep in. If there is no leak in that spot then maybe hit the top of the lower window with the hose in the same way. Lastly, try the top window in the same manner.

By doing that at least you can figure out the source. Have some towels ready and someone to assist you inside to yell STOP!!!

MO

04-26-14, 03:29 PM   #7  
Thank you. I will try this approach.

Search this Thread