Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

installing new hinges

PA

04-24-14, 02:13 PM   #1  
installing new hinges

Need to settle an argument. I am installing new 3-1/2" hinges on interior doors.
Does it matter if the hinge leaf with the 3 knuckles (the other leaf has 2 knuckles) is installed on the frame or the door ???

Sponsored Links

TN

04-24-14, 02:33 PM   #2  
Hinges

Turn the hinge so that the pin comes out from the top. The bottom part of the hinge will have a cap with a hole in the center of the cap.

Forum Topic Moderator

TN

04-24-14, 03:05 PM   #3  
Not all hinges have caps. I prefer to have the 3 'knuckles' on the door mainly because it's easier to hang the door back if you have to take it off.

retired painter/contractor avid DIYer

Super Moderator

AZ

04-24-14, 03:30 PM   #4  
Agree with Mark. Didn't think of that when I replaced all my hinges 7 yrs ago, but moving large furniture from room to room recently made me put swap the hinge leafs on my to do list.

Vic
"I sometimes wonder how some people ever made it to adulthood..."

Forum Topic Moderator

TN

04-25-14, 03:26 AM   #5  
While I've always preferred to remove the hinges for spraying paint, I used to work for an outfit that just taped them. I've taken down and rehung 1000's of doors - doesn't take long to figure out which ones hang the easiest! Not sure I'd go thru the trouble of re orientating the hinges, it's not like the door comes down on a regular basis

NY

04-30-14, 07:15 AM   #6  
The question was weather the three pin holes go on the frame or the door. I believe the frame is the correct answer. It just seems a stronger. Probably does not matter. All the doors I ever hung, fixed or installed had the three pin holes attached to the frame.

Forum Topic Moderator

TN

04-30-14, 11:48 AM   #7  
I don't know that there is a right or wrong answer. I've took down and rehung 1000s of doors while painting new construction and they were never all done the same. I think it varied by either who was installing them at the factory or maybe just how they picked them up out of the box.

Search this Thread