installing new hinges

Old 04-24-14, 02:13 PM
installing new hinges

Need to settle an argument. I am installing new 3-1/2" hinges on interior doors.
Does it matter if the hinge leaf with the 3 knuckles (the other leaf has 2 knuckles) is installed on the frame or the door ???

Sponsored Links
Old 04-24-14, 02:33 PM
Hinges

Turn the hinge so that the pin comes out from the top. The bottom part of the hinge will have a cap with a hole in the center of the cap.

Old 04-24-14, 03:05 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Not all hinges have caps. I prefer to have the 3 'knuckles' on the door mainly because it's easier to hang the door back if you have to take it off.

Old 04-24-14, 03:30 PM
Super Moderator
Agree with Mark. Didn't think of that when I replaced all my hinges 7 yrs ago, but moving large furniture from room to room recently made me put swap the hinge leafs on my to do list.

Old 04-25-14, 03:26 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
While I've always preferred to remove the hinges for spraying paint, I used to work for an outfit that just taped them. I've taken down and rehung 1000's of doors - doesn't take long to figure out which ones hang the easiest! Not sure I'd go thru the trouble of re orientating the hinges, it's not like the door comes down on a regular basis

Old 04-30-14, 07:15 AM
The question was weather the three pin holes go on the frame or the door. I believe the frame is the correct answer. It just seems a stronger. Probably does not matter. All the doors I ever hung, fixed or installed had the three pin holes attached to the frame.

Old 04-30-14, 11:48 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
I don't know that there is a right or wrong answer. I've took down and rehung 1000s of doors while painting new construction and they were never all done the same. I think it varied by either who was installing them at the factory or maybe just how they picked them up out of the box.