Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

new construction windows in 1971 house with 2 layers of siding.

NY

05-04-14, 04:29 PM   #1  
new construction windows in 1971 house with 2 layers of siding.

Im sorry if this is in the wrong thread. i spend alot of time reading and this is my first time posting. this is a little long winded but please bear with me.

I have a 1971 ranch in Buffalo NY, cold winters, hot summers. I am replacing the original casement windows in a couple weeks with new vinyl double hungs. I opted to go with new construction style with nailing fins because i feel more comfortable working with this type of installation.. here is my question. The house is not sheathed with plywood. it is some type of black 3/4" thick composite board that was commonly used in this area in that era. The house was originally sided with cement board (asbestos). The previous owner had installed 1/2" styrofoam over the original siding and then hung vinyl siding over the foam. There is no housewrap on the house. during the winter months, i can feel cold air blowing through the outlets on the exterior walls and around the windows. New aluminum capping and trim was put around the windows when the vinyl siding was hung and it is a complete hack job. water got behind the trim and rotted the wood windows out. I would like to remove the vinyl siding, wrap the entire house in housewrap, and then install my windows, with appropriate flashing, trim, and sealing, etc.. CAN I INSTALL housewrap directly over the 1/2" foamboard and rehang my vinyl siding? or do i need to strip the original siding off as well and install housewrap on the original house sheathing board?? thanks for your time and advise...

Sponsored Links
Group Moderator

NE

05-04-14, 06:03 PM   #2  
Just adding hpusewrap is not going to eliminate your cold drafty walls.

NY

05-06-14, 07:53 PM   #3  
Should I wrap?

I guess my next question is should I still wrap the house? The styrofoam boards are butted up to each other and stapled to the old wood siding but I do not see any taped joints. If I do not wrap the entire house, would I still run wrap around the area of my new windows, or would I be flashing and putting a rain cap on them and be ok that way. I thought this over too much and have confused myself. How would u go about installing windows with nailing fins in this situation? Thanks for any suggestions. At this point what I planned to do was pull back the siding a few feet from the window, cut and remove the old wood siding and composite board to the next stud on either side of the window, install new plywood or osb to the thickness of original wood siding and foam, apply wrap, overlapping the styofoam about 12 inches and tape it up, then install window in my new area of wall, and reattach vinyl. I cannot afford to rip off and resheet the entire house. I hope I was clear in my wording. Thanks again

Group Moderator

NE

05-06-14, 08:38 PM   #4  
That sounds like a fine plan. Installing a perimeter of plywood is definitely the best way to go... and in that case you would probably be wise to use housewrap and windiw flashing tape around the new windows.

Search this Thread