Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Door hinges - different lengths

CANADA

05-06-14, 07:52 AM   #1  
Door hinges - different lengths

Does anyone know if someone sells a door hinge that is longer on one side than the other??

I am looking for one that is standard length on the door jamb but is a few inches longer on the door side....

Sponsored Links
Group Moderator

NC

05-06-14, 09:28 AM   #2  
Longer in which dimension? Why do you need an asymmetric hinge? Strap hinges like used on gates and shed doors are commonly available with one long leg

If you want one longer along the height of the door I have never seen one though I have made them by welding tabs onto a standard hinge. If your screw holes are stripped you can glue wood pegs into the stripped holes or drill new holes in the hinge so the screws go into fresh wood in the door.

CANADA

05-06-14, 10:52 AM   #3  
Yes - longer height on one side - not width... welding sounds like a hassle.

TN

05-06-14, 11:13 AM   #4  
Hinges

Found these by using Google:

Ornate door hinges | Cool Stock Photo

Super Moderator

AZ

05-06-14, 12:08 PM   #5  
Those are no mortice hinges...doubt thats what he's looking for. I have seen some with a longer leg on the door...but for the life of me couldn't tell you where. Seems they were on an old house with big heavy solid wood doors.

Vic
"I sometimes wonder how some people ever made it to adulthood..."

CANADA

05-07-14, 07:56 AM   #6  
Think I will be getting some welded up. Was just surprised something like this is not around.

Search this Thread