Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Interior Improvement Center > Doors, Skylights and Windows
Reload this Page >

Need Help Identifying Windows That Wont Open!

Old 05-16-14, 07:49 AM
J
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts

Hi!

I'm new to the forum and looking for help. I'm in process of closing on a home (estate sale) and no one can tell me what kind of windows these are or how to open them. The glass has an AW (Andersen) etching, but that is all i know. Any advice would help.

There is a twist handle between the 2 sliding.gliding panes that releases the lock, but none of them will budge.

Sorry about the picture quality, I didn't take these, but am planning to take more this weekend.

Name:  Screen Shot 2014-05-16 at 9.47.02 AM.jpg
Views: 101
Size:  30.4 KBName:  Screen Shot 2014-05-16 at 9.46.07 AM.jpg
Views: 97
Size:  21.4 KBName:  Screen Shot 2014-05-16 at 9.37.20 AM.jpg
Views: 95
Size:  29.8 KB

Old 05-16-14, 08:44 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 2,155 Upvotes on 1,929 Posts
It's hard to tell for certain but it looks like they are painted shut. In your middle photo it appears the left side of the window pulls inward first then the whole sash moves inside and then slides to the left.

Old 05-16-14, 09:00 AM
J
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Thanks!

Yea a couple of them have been painted shut. The ones in the other room that haven't dont look like they have been opened in a while and might just be stuck.

I tried what you described and they didnt budge! I also tried popping out the right sash/pane first but no luck their either.

Old 05-16-14, 09:26 AM
Super Moderator
Received 391 Upvotes on 319 Posts
Welcome to the forum!
Maybe there's a better way, but when I've come across a window that's stuck, I get a screwdriver and push the edge into the crack (opening) and just try to push it free. You can put a piece of cloth (like an old tee) over the screwdriver to protect a bit better.
Usually works for me!

Old 05-16-14, 09:56 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 835 Upvotes on 732 Posts
A stiff putty knife is better than a screwdriver because it spreads the prying out over a wider area. Too easy to gouge the wood when using a screwdriver. Often it works best to pry from multiple spots instead of just muscling your way thru.

Old 05-16-14, 10:30 AM
Group Moderator
Received 1,910 Upvotes on 1,716 Posts
Those Andersen sliders were always a bit difficult. And they are clearly painted shut on the right side of the sash where they meet the stop. Cutting the painted seam with a utility knife, then tapping the sash with a block of wood and a hammer will sometimes pop it loose. You need to free the entire perimeter of the sash (the left side of the left trim piece... and the right side where the sash meets the stop.) And then you also need to consider that it might be painted shut on the outside as well. Usually the tapping and putty knife will help free it. Someone on the outside would probably need to tap IN on the window (tapping on the right side of that center sash, as viewed from the OUTSIDE) while the person inside is pulling the sash to the left.

They were kind of a goofy design.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: