Crack above bathroom door?

Old 05-20-14, 08:40 PM
S
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Crack above bathroom door?

Hi All -

Let me know if there's a better forum to post this into. I thought maybe walls or ceiling but since it's dealing with a door, I figured what the heck.

Anyway, I bought this townhouse (corner unit, built in 2007) about 1.5 years ago and during the inspection we noticed a crack that went from the top of a door frame to the ceiling. The inspector however said not to worry about it and it's just the house settling. The door doesn't close all the way. This is an internal door from the master bedroom to the master bathroom on the top floor. The only thing above it is the roof and the roof top deck.

I had a company come in and repaint the whole house after we closed and shortly after they painted over the crack it returned. It didn't look like they used any compound or anything but I thought nothing of it.

Tonight, though, I noticed on the other side of the door frame another crack near the top left corner of the frame. The one is about 6 inches long but a very thin crack.

I've attached some pictures to better show what I'm seeing.

I feel like the single crack from the top of the door frame to the ceiling was a known quantity but this new crack concerns me a little and makes me think I'm ignoring a bigger issue. This is the only door in the house that has any cracks like this and doors that won't close.

So, a few questions:

1. Is this pointing to a bigger issue? If so, what is the best route to go from here?
2. If it's not an issue and just normal house stuff (I have only ever lived in a high rise previously), is there a recommendation?

Thanks in advance for your assistance! I really appreciate it!

Thanks,
Greg

Attached Images   
Old 05-21-14, 03:12 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 835 Upvotes on 732 Posts
The cracking is minor and probably returned because it wasn't repaired correctly, I wouldn't worry about that. Why doesn't the door shut all the way? It might be an easy fix but we need to determine why it won't close. Where does the door hit the frame or bind up?

Old 05-21-14, 06:20 PM
P
Temporarily Suspended
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Use a level to check the plumb & the level of the door & the frame itself. Put the level on both sides of the frame & the top of it. Do the same on the door. Make sure that all screws on the hinges are tight.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: