Cutting Edge Windows and/or best window

Old 05-21-14, 08:12 PM
Cutting Edge Windows and/or best window

Does anyone have any opinions or experience out there on Cutting Edge windows? If nothing on Cutting Edge what window would you recommend. I plan on replacing our current windows with a more updated energy efficient window. I want to do a full construction replacement since we will be taking down the siding.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 05-22-14, 04:21 AM
Hi Andy,
Yes, there are better windows, but NOT MUCH BETTER and they are expensive. It is often better to go middle of the road and use the extra money where it can make a bigger difference.

I'll guess $1,000 per window to get an extremely top of the line unit. $500 or below will get you a good window. When you say you will be replacing the siding that opens up other options, like adding a uniform layer of rigid insulation over the entire exterior of the house. Covering the outside reduces thermal bridging through the studs and other framing material. It also covers the top plate and rim joist around the floor of your house, and the band joist in the middle if you have a two story.

Tell us more about your house and plans and we have some real window pros who will be along soon.

Bud

Old 05-22-14, 11:37 AM
Well my house is a single story ranch house. I plan on getting the siding replaced with either Insulated vinyl siding or the regular vinyl siding (I am trying to determine the best choice for that as well but that is another issue). While we get the siding replaced I figured it would be best to replace the windows and window frames at the same time. The old windows are roughly 40 years old and are the Anderson wood windows. Now I am trying to determine the best window for energy efficiency but there are allot of choices. I had a contractor come out to go over everything. He seemed very informative and knowledgeable. He recommended the Cutting Edge windows however I have never heard of them. So I figured I would come on here to see what everyone thought.

Andy

Old 05-22-14, 01:22 PM
I'm not familiar with that Brand, it seems to be based out of WA.

As for the insulated siding, there is little benefit as it is not air sealed to the side of the home. By installing insulation I was referring to one or two inches of rigid insulation applied before the siding.

Bud