Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Interior Improvement Center > Doors, Skylights and Windows
Reload this Page >

Sliding Glass Patio Door Leaks - I know where, not sure how to fix

Old 06-06-14, 11:47 AM
S
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post

I have a sliding patio door that leaks water whenever it rains hard. I have taken the door out of the track and noticed in the track, where the 2 doors meet (in the center of the track) there is a fuzzy strip that is worn (aprox size is 2" long 1/2" wide). I temporarily shoved some rubber in the crack between the two doors (in-between the track and bottom of the doors) and it did not leak last time it rained.

I found out the door was manufactured by Hydro Aluminum N.A. They no longer make doors and I cannot find parts for it.

Any idea what can be used instead to permanently fix this? Is there anyplace online that may have interchangeable parts that may work?

Old 06-06-14, 07:39 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,910 Upvotes on 1,716 Posts
You'd need to take the sliding panel sash out of the frame, and then try and figure out what they used for weatherstripping by sliding out a piece and carefully measuring it. They usually have a fin that slides into a t-slot type track. The size of the fin and the thickness of the bulb or pile is pretty critical to figuring out what sort of replacement parts you need, so there is pretty much no way we can tell you what you need without being there with a micrometer or being able to see, hold, and compare your weatherstrip with the 5 or more different kinds that a glass shop might have in stock. If the weatherstrip is on the moving panel, I would suggest you put it in a truck and take it to a glass shop and see what they can do for you.

If it's on the fixed panel, its a little more complicated to pull that fixed panel sash out of the frame, but you could do that same thing with it, provided you can figure out how to pull it out of the frame. Doing this yourself, and taking it in will save you the labor of a service call, paying someone to come out... look, then come out a 2nd time to repair.

Old 06-07-14, 11:50 AM
S
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
What I need is a small strip that goes in the track and lays in the middle of the track. I have attached a picture. Best I can describe is it is fuzzy, but it is worn and I think it is letting water through.

Name:  20140607_131600[1].jpg
Views: 3821
Size:  21.3 KB

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: