Patio door flashing question

Old 06-10-14, 12:28 PM
Patio door flashing question

Hi all,

Would appreciate any advise regarding a question I have about the flashing at the bottom of a patio door. I just installed a vinyl sliding patio door on a step down landing. I have installed sticky back, butyl rubber flashing over a fabricated sill pan, (I made from aluminum trim coil). You will see in the attached pic that the flashing is not sticking to the concrete vertical surface under the door on the exterior side. Not surprising- so I'm wondering if it's okay to leave it as it is, or if I should use something to adhere it to the concrete. I plan to trim it down some if it would help. I also wondered if I should consider putting a ledger board here, as a solution to holding the flashing tight against the concrete.

Should also mention the sill pan that is under the visible flashing has a bit of material that continues past the edge of the step down as it should, and then bent down toward the landing properly, but is not staying perfectly tight against the vertical surface- which also slightly impedes the flashing from being exactly flush with the surface, even if it does adhere well. (I bent the aluminum material 90 degrees to get it as flush as possible to the vertical concrete surface under the door, but it isn't staying bent at a perfect 90, even though I creased the aluminum pretty good.)

OR should I just trim the sill pan and flashing flush with the concrete edge the door is sitting on?? (Which is how I understand it should be if the door were installed on a continuous slab.)

Would appreciate any advise on what to do.

Thanks,

Visser

Attached Images  
Sponsored Links
Old 06-10-14, 05:14 PM
Temporarily Suspended
A ledger board will collect water. That's what you don't want. If water is draining properly, I would leave it alone.

Old 06-10-14, 06:09 PM
Thanks for the reply Pulpo! Ya, I wasn't thinking it would be any problem if the flashing wasn't adhered to the vertical surface under the door as long as water can run off of it. I just wanted to tap the minds that would know better and make sure. One of my questions about it being necessary was if the flashing should be adhered tot he surface to keep anything from getting behind it, (insects, wind blown rain, water from garden hose spray, etc). Though not likely any of these things I could think of would necessarily be a problem, I still wanted to run it by anyone who would know no issues for sure.

Old 06-10-14, 07:02 PM
Temporarily Suspended
I doubt those other things will cause any real problems. Just keep an eye on it for now. See what happens.