Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Interior Improvement Center > Doors, Skylights and Windows
Reload this Page >

Installing door lock -- problem with drilling into poured concrete wall

Old 06-30-14, 10:51 AM

My wife and I are relatively inexperienced DIYers and need advice concerning installing a lock for a sliding glass door in my townhouse. The lock is called "Lockit." We are having trouble drilling holes for attaching the hardware. Specifically, I need to drill holes into the door jamb to attach the latch. Drilling through the metal door jamb is no problem, but we are having trouble drilling through the poured concrete wall.

I am using a 3/8 inch masonry drill bit and an electric drill. The installation seems pretty simple and my wife, who is handier than me, started on it while I was at work. She told me she ran into trouble after drilling about a half of an inch into the wall. She just couldn't make any further progress and thought that maybe something in the wall was stopping her from drilling any further. I was able to finish drilling the hole, but it was very slow going. Any tips on the proper method to drill through poured concrete to speed things up??? Also, is it possible that there might be something in the wall obstructing the drilling process?

Sponsored Links
Old 06-30-14, 10:59 AM
Group Moderator
You need a hammer drill to go with your masonry bit... not just a standard drill.

Old 06-30-14, 11:26 AM
Super Moderator
Agreed. You can get by with a regular drill for things like brick, mortar, or cinderblock, but concrete normally requires a hardened masonry bit and a hammer drill.

Old 06-30-14, 01:26 PM
Thanks guys! Never heard of a hammer drill before. Apparently, I'm not the only one--I Googled it and found other forums talking about the same problem. I wish that every problem had as simple a solution.
Jim

Old 06-30-14, 01:34 PM
One last question. Do I need to know anything special about operating a hammer drill or does it operate the same way as a regular drill?
Jim

Old 06-30-14, 01:42 PM
Group Moderator
Most hammer drills can operate either as a standard drill or when you flip a switch they will hammer as they spin. That's about all you need to know.

Old 06-30-14, 03:16 PM
I was thinking I might have to hire a handyman, but now that I know about the hammer drill I know I can handle it.
Thanks again!!!