Front Door issues. Help Please. Pics inside.

Old 07-09-14, 06:56 AM
Question Front Door issues. Help Please. Pics inside.

Hey everyone. Purchased my home about a year ago and noticed some small areas of paint (i guess it's some kind of clearcoat?) gone. Now it's gotten worse as this door sees the sun from about 1pm till sunset. Any ideas how to handle this? I dont want to have to replace the entire door. Is there a way to restore it to like new shape? I welcome detailed instructions as I'm in the medical field, not home repair. Thank you all in advance.
[/URL]
[/URL]

Sponsored Links
Old 07-09-14, 10:06 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Welcome to the forums!

I couldn't tell from the pics do you know if it's a wood door? or fiberglass?

I don't know much about stain finishes on fiberglass but suspect that would take a faux finish technique to make it look right followed by a coat or two of poly.

On a wood door you'd sand it down as needed, touch up the stain if needed and then apply a poly over the affected area. Sand and recoat the entire door with a spar poly when dry.

UV rays are hard on poly. The best defense is to lightly sand and recoat the door with poly every so often - generally every year or three, it all depends on how much weather the door sees.

Old 07-09-14, 11:27 AM
Sorry. I totally neglected to mention the material. This is a fiberglass door. What should I do?

Old 07-09-14, 12:04 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
I've only finished a few fiberglass doors and never had to repair the finish on one. Worst case scenario would be to prime and paint the door but I'm sure what you have can be repaired. It might be as simple as sanding off the deteriorating poly, touching up the stain and applying fresh poly .... but I don't know for sure. Check back later and see what some of the others have to say.