Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Interior Improvement Center > Doors, Skylights and Windows
Reload this Page >

Custom Storm Door (due to sidelights) Needed???

Old 07-14-14, 05:50 PM
C
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts

So I've gone through a lot of the forums here but there doesn't seem to be a lot of air dedicated to custom doors. My front door measures 36" x 79". Between the my mullions I have 34 3/4". The mullions are 2 1/2" deep all the way around the door. I've got roughly another inch to the end of the threshold beyond the mullions. I could build the mullions our another 1 3/16" to get it flush with the opening for the whole package (2 sidelights and door)

If I look at a Larson door at Lowes: Shop LARSON White Signature Full-View Tempered Glass Storm Door (Common: 81-in x 36-in; Actual: 80.8-in x 37.62-in) at Lowes.com

The actual door from lowes is 80.8-in x 37.62-in. Fwiw, this door will be completely.

Questions:
1) Is my width ok for a 36" door or should I be looking for a 32" door??
2) It seems that due to the height of (and or width of) my opening, my only option would be custom door?

Thanks,

Attached Images   
Sponsored Links
Old 07-14-14, 06:02 PM
Group Moderator
Received 714 Votes on 661 Posts
You just need to extend your mullion and use a standard 36x80 door. Is it really 79" from the bottom of the top brickmould to the top edge of the bottom sill? (top picture, bottom left corner arrow?) If so, you probably need a custom height. Not all doors can be custom cut to height.

Old 07-14-14, 08:43 PM
C
no, it's actually 80 1/4" (from the sill to the bottom of the brickmould). Thanks for the help. I'll go with the 36x80 and will be careful unpacking.

Old 07-14-14, 08:54 PM
Group Moderator
That's perfect. Good luck with your project!! If you wanted to search for threads on this topic, you might search for "storm door with sidelights" and that would probably aim you in the right direction. It's pretty common that doors with sidelights need to be extended if you ever want to put a storm door on them.

Old 07-14-14, 11:11 PM
Super Moderator
Received 3 Votes on 3 Posts
Make sure you remember to paint the cut ends of the wood you use to build it out. Tough to do after they are installed.

Old 07-15-14, 05:13 AM
C
thanks gunguy. xsleeper, i was aware of the build-out necessity; my issue was understanding how a door that's 37" wide can fit in a 34 3/4" opening.

thanks for all the help

Old 07-15-14, 06:37 AM
Group Moderator
Then you don't completely understand the build out procedure, which is what those other threads discuss. 36" storm doors fit inside an opening that is 36" wide. (actually as small as 35 3/4). So just like your brickmould is stepped back about 1/2" from the inside edge of the door jamb, your build out will be stepped back 1/2" from the inside edges of the mullions.

So you say its 34 3/4" between your mullions. If you would leave a 5/8" reveal on each side of the jamb when you add the buildout, it would measure 36" between the buildout.... which is where your storm door goes.

Old 07-15-14, 09:08 AM
Super Moderator
Received 3 Votes on 3 Posts
Normally, you just rip a good straight 2X4 or 2X6 to the desired depth and screw it to the mullion. If you think you may ever get storms for the sidelights, you may need to also rip the width slightly. If you just rip a 2X and offset it slightly to the outside to get the right distance for the storm door, you'll probably be too narrow on the sides for storms later.