Replacement casement window?

Old 07-17-14, 04:39 PM
C
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Replacement casement window?

Hi all,

Is there a such thing as a replacement casement window? I have a old double hung window over my kitchen sink that is nearly impossible to open/close. I was hoping there is a casement window replacement - similar to a double-hung replacement - that I could swap out. Ideally I don't want to mess with my vinyl siding if at all possible.

I figured I'd ask the pros here before asking the guy at the counter at Lowes

Old 07-17-14, 05:16 PM
Group Moderator
Received 854 Votes on 782 Posts
yes, but there are maximum widths. mfg's won't make casements that are very wide.... each company's max limits are different. If you can't get a casement because of their size contraints, see if they make an awning window in your width and height. An awning also cranks open but seems to hinge on the top (it actually hinges like a casement that's laid on it's side.)

Old 08-28-14, 08:42 PM
C
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Just to post some follow-up results...I ended up successfully ordering a Pella replacement casement window from Lowes and just installed it. The install went smoothly, as well as replacement of the rotting sill and brickmold with PVC. Here's a before-and-after picture.

Name:  IMG_7743.jpg
Views: 524
Size:  31.0 KB

Thanks everyone for your help, especially XSleeper for your insight on my posts. This website has been a lifesaver!

Old 08-28-14, 09:04 PM
Group Moderator
Received 854 Votes on 782 Posts
Looks very nice. Before and after pictures are pretty impressive... makes you realize how much of an improvement it was! When you have to lean out over a kitchen countertop, having a window with a crank handle is a lot nicer than trying to lift a double hung.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: