Delay replacement of cracked window...?

Old 07-21-14, 01:00 PM
C
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Delay replacement of cracked window...?

Hi folks,

Our living room has a sit in window with three glass windows. One of our kids bumped the large middle pane (say 5'x4') in the spring, causing a crack on the internal pane (external pane is fine).

Name:  crack.jpg
Views: 270
Size:  40.5 KB

These windows are on our "to replace" list, but we'd rather hold off for another year. Getting our roof done was this years scheduled reno project - being hit by another few thousand dollars to replace all three panes (and redo the sit-in area) would be a real...pain.

Reviewing other postings on the forum, I see that there are no quick, easy fixes (didn't expect any). My question is - what Bad Things could happen if I delayed replacement until next summer?

My thoughts:

1) Condensation (seen from other DIY posts). Not a big deal. Won't look as pretty and may cause minor mold inside, but I'm planning to replace them soon enough anyways.

2) Window fall apart?? Is this possible? I wouldn't expect any more major cracking now that its gone all the way across the window, but temp variants may do something wacky.

Any suggestions/concerns?

Thanks,
- C

Old 07-21-14, 03:23 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 7 Votes on 6 Posts
Welcome to the forums! The inside pane won't cause as many problems as the outer one could. Yes, it will fog up, but you expect that. As long as the kids keep away from it, you should not have more problems of it "falling apart". The crack may increase, and if it does, make sure you tape over it to keep shattering to a minimum should it decide to do so.

Old 07-22-14, 09:05 AM
C
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Many thanks, chandler, for the confirmation! I'll roll the dice and try to delay install.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: