Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Broken glass in 15-lite patio door

TX

07-27-14, 12:13 AM   #1  
Broken glass in 15-lite patio door

My patio door assembly has one right-hand in-swing door and the other is stationary.

The double pane glass of the in-swing door has been knocked out. Its a 15-lite door with an external grille.

I would like to replace the door just to be done with it but the size is non-standard. The slab measures are 34.5 x 77in.

I'm inclined to give replacing the glass a go but I'm unsure how successful I could be. I worry doing so means I'll see evidence of trapped moisture in a week; the humidity here is very high.

Any suggestions where to find such a door? There are no apparent markings to determine the manufacturer.

All help is appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation

GA

07-27-14, 03:12 AM   #2  
I would contact a glass installer and have him order a custom IGU for the door. Much cheaper than replacing the entire odd sized door, which would fall into custom build as well.

Super Moderator

AZ

07-27-14, 11:52 AM   #3  
You can order a replacement IGU and grille at almost any Home Center or door supplier. That's assuming that this is a plastic grille frame held together with screws on the inside. The frame and glass units are only made by a couple of suppliers and are pretty interchangeable. Measure the outside to outside dimensions of the frame and the visible glass area. Basically, even though it's a custom door, it's not a custom glass unit. They make them all the same height and either 20" or 22" wide IIRC.

Vic
"I sometimes wonder how some people ever made it to adulthood..."

Search this Thread