Windows Leaking

Old 07-27-14, 11:33 AM
Windows Leaking

Hello,

I noticed during a downpour today one of my windows was leaking at the top where the window meets the top of the frame. I can see along that line where I'm assuming it must have been caulked or something is sort of splitting away from the frame and water is dripping through.

I've included some pictures in case my description isn't very good.

I suppose my questions is, am I safe just caulking this from the inside to keep it from leaking into the house, or could there be a more serious leak that I should be concerned with.

Attached Images   
Sponsored Links
Old 07-27-14, 11:38 AM
Group Moderator
Caulking from the inside is not going to stop the leak at its source. If you could give us a picture of the window from the outside (both close up and from a long ways back) we might be able to see what the problem is.

Old 07-27-14, 11:50 AM
Alright when it stops raining I'll see if I can get a pic of it from the ground. For what it's worth the house was built in 2005 so it's not super old, and I have not noticed any issues with the siding in that area or anything. I just hope it's not leaking through the roof or something and running down the inside of the wall

Old 07-27-14, 11:50 AM
The window is not leaking. Caulking the inside just keeps the water within the wall. I has seen windows that were flashed leak because the flashing directs the water inside the wall down to an opening.

The water is from from somewhere above or laterally.

As XSleeper said photos of the exterior (where the water came from) will give clues..

Dick

Old 07-27-14, 12:13 PM
Okay, got some pictures from the outside.

It looks like there are water drips at the very top of the siding where it meets up with the that vinyl venting...soffits? Doesn't seem like water should be up there under the overhang like that but maybe it's because I don't have gutters.

Attached Images   
Old 07-27-14, 12:40 PM
Group Moderator
You're correct... water should drip off the front edge of the fascia, where the gutters are... not back at the wall where the soffit meets the siding. Water could be blowing back... or it could indicate a leak farther up.

To eliminate the window leak, you would need to pull that top piece of siding out of the finish trim. You would want to examine the wall and locate where it is still wet. You will probably find that the window has a nailing fin, and that the WRB (your housewrap, assuming you have housewrap) goes behind the nailing fin. If it's wet on top of the housewrap, that water can run behind the window nailing fin and then leak inside. If it's not wet on the housewrap, slice the housewrap with a knife and see if it's wet behind the housewrap. This would be a very harmful leak, since your sheathing is getting wet, which will eventually rot the wall.

In either case, you would want to slit the housewrap to make a flap over the window... fold that flap up and out of the way and use window flashing tape to tape the window nailing fin directly to the sheathing. Then the housewrap should fold down over that.

I can't tell from the pictures, but it almost looks like there is a wood 1x2 where your fascia meets the shingles. Could we get a closer picture of that? Maybe open up the top of the window, lean out and get a closer picture of that. Seems like there might be some stains/rotting going on up there.

Old 07-27-14, 02:49 PM
I couldn't quite get a good picture of that, but I do not believe it to be a wood 1x2 piece. It is some sort of aluminum sheathing or something. I also recall it looking the same way when I did the gutters on the front side of the house.

I never noticed water leaking through this part of the window before, and it was definitely raining harder than I've seen in quite some time. Maybe I'll have to see if it still leaks in lighter rain w/ less windy conditions until I can get up there to look behind the siding. It was a fair amount of water though, not just just a slow drip.

Old 07-27-14, 02:55 PM
Group Moderator
I would bet that the aluminum wrap is catching water at the edge of the shingles, then that water is running back to the house via the soffit. Gutter apron under the shingles and over the aluminum would probably solve that. I'd still flash the window as mentioned earlier just to make sure.