Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Interior Improvement Center > Doors, Skylights and Windows
Reload this Page >

Yikes! Unforeseen complications in purchase of new front door!

Old 07-28-14, 09:30 AM

Hi! I have a new and very disturbing problem regarding the new front door I want to purchase. I just discovered the opening for the door is not standard size, and what's worse, the width is too small and the height too large. According to my not-absolutely-precise-but-close-enough measurements, the width is 35 and a half inches, and the height is 81 and a half inches.

So I have three questions: 1) How big a deal is reducing the height of the opening--what does it entail, how much does it cost, etc.

2)What about increasing the width of the opening--what does it entail, how much does it cost, etc.

3)According to the guy at a nationwide door retailer, for ANY kind of door I MUST decrease the height of the opening. And if I don't increase the width that would eliminate fiberglass and steel doors, and I'd be forced to get a wooden door and cut it down. Could you verify the statements of this man?

I'm still in a state of shock from these revelations, which came just two minutes ago, so please be as gentle as possible in breaking the bad news on cost! Thank you!

Sponsored Links
Old 07-28-14, 09:54 AM
Super Moderator
What are you measuring? Are you just replacing the door slab, not frame and all? It would be pretty easy to decrease the height, not so much to increase the width. Replacing the entire door frame will give you more options.

Old 07-28-14, 10:13 AM
Hi gunguy45! By the way, thanks for your input on my earlier thread about this new door, where you said you're the "Get off my lawn" guy in your neighborhood--any chance of renting your services for a week-end?

But to answer your question, my intention was just to replace the door. By the way, I was looking at many pictures of fiberglass doors (when I still believed I could get one) and my impression was that I wouldn't be able to get a model that had a clear portion at eye level which would permit you to see what's going on outside. Is that correct, that that's impossible with a fiberglass door, unless you perhaps had it custom-made?

Old 07-28-14, 10:30 AM
Hey everybody, either a miracle has occurred in the past hour, and God took it upon Himself to expand the width of my door opening to 36 and 1/16 inches (or maybe to 36 and 3/32 inches), or my earlier measurement (of the door itself, not the opening) was inaccurate or misleading.

Anyway, assuming that the width of the opening is indeed what I said above, is that enough to accommodate a fiberglass or steel door, which I take it is exactly 36 inches wide?

If so, then I'd want information just about the procedures and cost of reducing the height.

Old 07-28-14, 01:31 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
You never did say if that was the cased opening height or the rough opening. It's no big deal to lower the opening, a 1x with shims or maybe a 2x should work, the biggest thing is making it look pretty with casing .... lowering the siding/drywall would be a bit more work.

Old 07-28-14, 05:50 PM
Hi marksr, it's the rough opening height.