Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Can't figure out how to remove a single hung window

WA

08-01-14, 06:39 AM   #1  
Can't figure out how to remove a single hung window

I have a single hung window in need of repair. Its very difficult to move the window up and down as the sash does not seem to sit in its track very well, and end up crooked within the window frame.

I suspect something is wrong with the spring, but I can't figure out how to take the sash out of the frame. There is a single spring visible on the right hand side, but no takeout clips or holes for attaching takeout clips. There is a standard center lock on top of the sash and some kind of stopper/jam on the upper left side. See pictures attached.

Appreciate the help.

Attached Images

Sponsored Links
Group Moderator

NC

08-01-14, 06:51 AM   #2  
Slide the window up a few inches. Then push the top levers (in your first photo) inward and pull. This will release the top half of the sash and allow it to tip inwards. Then hold the sash almost horizontal and tip it which will allow the pins at the bottom to come out of the side tracks.

WA

08-01-14, 07:26 AM   #3  
I just tried this, didn't work. The lever on the top left (first picture) only moves left and right. It can not be pulled inward. I think it is a window stopper/jam of sort, not a pivot switch.

Here is another shot of the lever on top left. Only use for it seems to pull the sash up to where the hole is on the frame, and pull the lever to left to stop the sash from moving.

Maybe the takeout clip can be inserted in the hole on left side?

Attached Images

Group Moderator

NC

08-01-14, 09:06 AM   #4  
Ahhh! I see more clearly now in your latest picture. Those sliders on top look like they are used to hold or lock the window at a certain height by sliding into the holes in the track. Unfortunately it looks like the sash is inside the window track. It may not be removable. Sometimes you can get them out by pushing the window frame apart but that's always a touchy thing. You need to spread the frame enough to get the sash out but not so much that you break the frame.

WA

08-01-14, 07:24 PM   #5  
I think I still need to use something to take the tension away from the channel balance before attempting removing the sash.

Here is the puzzling part. Two sides are not symetrical. The left side, the top guide of the channle balance is not visible (which I think its the proper state). On the bottom I see the bottom guide (picture one attached), along with the cutout on the frame (picture two) for the bottom guide to fit in when the sash is all the way down. While on the right side, the top half of the channel balance (picture three) is visible (which make me think it is broken). When viewed from the bottom, there is no comparable bottom guide (which is expected as the channel balance is fully visible from the top (as shown in picture three). However, there is also no comparable cutout on the frame (picture 4), which makes me think there is no bottom guide for the channel balance on the right side?

I am really confused about the whole setup. Maybe the channel balance on the left was replaced before, as the cutout on the frame look home made?

Attached Images

WA

08-02-14, 12:01 PM   #6  
I managed to remove the sash from the frame. With the sash out, I have a better understanding of the problem now.

The issue seems to be the top sash guide (picture attached). The channel balance on the left side was caught by the lower lip. This caused the balance shoe to protrude below the sash by more than an inch, which led to the hole on the bottom of the frame. The channle balance on the right side was not caught by the lower or upper lips of the top sash guide, so it ended up moving independently from the sash.

I think the correct position should have both channel balances caught below the upper lip of the top sash guide. At that position, the balacne shoe protrude below the sash by 1/4 inch.

Maybe I need parts of slightly different size?

Attached Images

Search this Thread