New Prehung Door Help

Old 08-02-14, 09:29 PM
New Prehung Door Help

I just installed a new Steel prehung door for my back entry way. It was my first time doing it so I have some questions before I finish it up. Name:  door.jpg
Views: 1011
Size:  33.5 KB
The height of the rough opening was very tall so I had to frame in the top, and covered the opening with 3/4 in plywood at the top which hangs down flush with the top of the prehung jamb.

Tomorrow I plan on buying more 3/4 plywood to run along the sides of the door to make the sides flush with the top. Should I then stucco before I put the brickmold on? or should I put the brickmold on and stucco around it?

Also it is my first time using flashing, I bought the self adhesive hurricane grade. should I just apply it anywhere I see wood?

What about rain deflectors? Should I install one above my door? how do I install that? to the brickmold? after I stucco? before?

Lastly, I notice it isnt very smooth locking the deadbolt. I also notice the weatherstripping on the inside seems tighter at the bottom on that side. does this have something to do with it?

I just wanna make sure I do this right, thanks for any questions you can answer.

Sponsored Links
Old 08-05-14, 07:44 PM
Temporarily Suspended
Did the original door swing outwards? I don't like access to the hinges. It just might me the NYer in me.

Old 08-26-14, 12:47 PM
Pulpo, this guy is going like this right now

Maybe they sell locks for hinges?

Old 08-26-14, 02:15 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
A lot of exterior hinges for doors that swing out have a little 'hook' and corresponding notch on the hinges that prevent the door from being removed if the pins are removed.

It might be easier to nail up the brick molds and then do the stucco.