Studier door frames

Old 03-14-01, 09:03 PM
pvl
Visiting Guest
I messed up my door trim, painted latex over oil. That did not cover. Tried paint remover, but decided to remove all the trim from my doors. Still need to replace the trim.

Now, I presume I can make a few of my interior doors stronger or more secure, by simply adding a few extra shims now that it's easy to get to. Is this what you would do to sturdy up the door? Probably does not need this but I want a few doors a little studier.

But, in case my presumption is wrong, I wanted to ask the question. I'm also replacing all door knobs with Baldwin. Solid brass and more expensive but I'm tired of the cheap feeling, loose, door knobs I had. I know, money could be spent elsewhere but that's the road I'm taking.

And thanks for no mention of "guns a blazin old guy" on how to feel secure.

Thanks,
pvl

Old 03-16-01, 05:15 AM
L
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
I'm not following your train of thought. How will "adding a few extra shims" make the doors sturdier? Are the door jambs loose and moving around in the rough opening? If so, then adding two extra sets of shims to each side of the jamb and securing them with 3" screws will cure the problem. But if the jambs are solid in the opening, extra shims will do nothing for you.

Old 03-16-01, 08:05 AM
Visiting Guest
re: sturdier door frames

Lefty, I'll further explain my question. I have removed all of the trim. Yes the jambs are loose. For example, I could accidentally fall into one and probably knock it right out of the door frame.

What I see in these doors are one or two shims per each side and the shims are about 1/2 inch wide, no more.

My thinking was, the added shims will tie in the door jamb to the 2x4 wall itself, therefore making the door sturdier.

So, about 98% of the door jamb has about a 1/2 inch space (air) between it and the 2x4 stud in the wall. That's why I was thinking adding shims would help shore up all that gap space, and again, the few shims that are currently there are narrow pieces of wood.

I look forward to your help.

Thanks,
pvl

Old 03-17-01, 11:34 PM
L
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Yes, it sounds like you need more sets of shims in the doors. I use 3 sets per side (if needed), one at each of the hinges on the hinge side and the 3 on the latch side at about the same heights. And I use 3" deck or drywall screws when I install a door, 2 screws at each set of shims. And the shims I use are about 1-1/2" wide. Have never had a loose door jamb, with or without the casings in place.

Old 03-18-01, 08:07 AM
pvl
Visiting Guest
Thumbs up sturdier door frams

Thank you Lefty for your answer on how to beef up my door frames with the right shims and screws. Appreciate your help! Will follow your instructions.

pvl

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: