Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Emtek storm door handlest broken: repair or replace?

08-04-14, 10:42 AM   #1  
Emtek storm door handlest broken: repair or replace?

Came home from vacation, opened our back storm door, and the handle fell off in my hand. Maker is Emtek; there seems to be a plastic washer/o-ring that has broken (pictured). Can anyone advise on repair, or, if product is available for purchase, replacement? We'll do whichever is most practical/cost-effective.Name:  image.jpg
Views: 315
Size:  30.6 KBName:  image.jpg
Views: 332
Size:  51.6 KB

Sponsored Links
Group Moderator

NC

08-04-14, 11:40 AM   #2  
Do a web search for the manufacturer and contact them to see if they have parts available.

Super Moderator

AZ

08-04-14, 12:05 PM   #3  
You may be able to fix that. Is the square rod held in with a set screw like the other handle has or is it permanently attached to that handle? I would think a plastic washer and the correct size snap ring if needed?

Some of those had the handle held in place to the plate by a snap ring, some just used a plastic bushing and tightening down the setscrews in both handles held them in

It should still function ok w/o a repair, though it may be a bit sloppy in the door.

I'm not sure Emtek still makes that style storm door hardware, but there are plenty of others that MAY work.

Vic
"I sometimes wonder how some people ever made it to adulthood..."

Group Moderator

NE

08-04-14, 06:01 PM   #4  
Yeah, the plastic washer is probably something you can pick up in one of the parts drawers at a hardware store. The set screw in one half of the handle is probably all you need to fix if it came off in your hand.

TX

08-04-14, 06:47 PM   #5  
The plastic washer provides a little buffer between the lever & escutcheon but is not necessary for operation; apply a dab of grease on the wearing surfaces & it'll be fine.

The reason the lever came off is because the set screw in the lever finally loosened sufficiently...re-install lever, leaving a 1/16" end play, & tighten the set screws firmly. If the set screws loosen again, use Locktite or similar threadlocker.

Search this Thread