Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Support under garage entry door threshold

NJ

08-12-14, 01:21 PM   #1  
Support under garage entry door threshold

I am replacing the door that goes from our garage to the interior of our house. After checking local codes I bought a simple steel exterior door with brick mould.

When I brought the door home and started looking things over, I realized that the metal threshold of the new door will stick out by about 2" beyond the rough opening into the garage, which has an 8" drop off to the garage floor. I realize that this must be supported somehow. So my question is, should I purchase a different type of door or can this be supported somehow (perhaps some lumber under the 2" overhang??) If supporting is the right answer, how would the lumber be secured to the garage floor and the cinder blocks behind.

Many thanks for the anticipated help!

Sponsored Links
Super Moderator

AZ

08-12-14, 01:55 PM   #2  
Yes a piece of 2x lumber cut to the correct width will do it. Depending on the surface it needs to go flat against, tap con into concrete (I'd use a couple of blobs of construction adhesive as well), or possibly a powder nailer (again with some adhesive).

It's odd that it hangs over THAT much, but some is normal. Maybe you are setting it on 4" block?

Vic
"I sometimes wonder how some people ever made it to adulthood..."

NJ

08-12-14, 02:08 PM   #3  
Thanks so much Gunguy45. I don't know what kind of block it sits on. I am a bit of a novice so... what do you mean by "tap con into concrete".

Super Moderator

AZ

08-12-14, 02:38 PM   #4  
Tapcon is a brand/type of screw designed for mounting to concrete and block.

Vic

NJ

08-13-14, 05:44 PM   #5  
Thanks again. Yes, the block the door sits on was 4" block.

Installed the door today (my first door installation... took way longer than I expected, but it seems to be in level and plumb). Tomorrow I want to install the apron support beneath. I like the tap con idea so I think I'm going to go for it. The threshold that juts out actually has a 1.5" space that is just begging for a board to fit right in and support. Two additional questions:

1) Should I use PT lumber or just regular lumber? (This is in a garage and should receive no moisture other than normal humidity.)

2) Is it absolutely necessary for the board to go all the way down the full 8" to the floor? I looked at the technical specs of tapcon screws and they seem to be very strong. I was thinking of supporting with a 2 x 6" the full width of the threshold and held up with maybe 6 tapcon screws as well as the adhesive. Almost like a shelf. Is this kosher?

Group Moderator

NE

08-13-14, 06:00 PM   #6  
If I can interject...

PT should not be in direct contact with the aluminum threshold, so if you use PT, just put a strip of felt paper between it and the legs of the aluminum sill nose so that the two don't touch.

The wood does not have to extend to the floor. Even a 2x4 would be fine. Hope you have the hammer drill and drill bit in order to predrill the holes for the tapcons.

Super Moderator

AZ

08-13-14, 06:07 PM   #7  
PT and yes...it needs to be supported by the floor. Maybe if you had installed the shelf beforehand, but I don't think so. And it doesn't have to be one piece if the thought of buying a 2x10 or 2x8 is the problem. If 2 lengths of PT 2x4 works...then stack them up.

I'm no Pro carpenter...but if I was, I'd probably make some sort of step down into the garage.

Vic

Super Moderator

AZ

08-13-14, 06:34 PM   #8  
Well...as usual...people disagree...lol.

Though...X is probably right, a firmly attached support just below the sill should be fine. I powder nailed and glued 2x4 to a small retaining wall to support stair treads and they've held up fine for almost 8 years.

If you have typical "cinder" block, the Tapcon bit in a regular drill will probably get the job done. Just don't overheat it, and spray a little water from a bottle in while drilling. You are only using screws to hold the wood til the adhesive sets...at least IMO. You DO need to use the Tapcon bit of the right size and hand tighten the screws.

Upon further review...I think I need to feed my cats.

Vic

NJ

08-17-14, 06:36 AM   #9  
Finally finished the support today. Bought a cheap hammer drill for the project ($25 from HF) and it worked like a charm. Tapcon went it without incident. Thanks for the advice gentlemen.

At some point I would like to cover the wood with some facade to make it look a little nicer. But that can wait...

Search this Thread