Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Window frame coming away from wall

UT

08-12-14, 07:06 PM   #1  
Window frame coming away from wall

We have an issue with a window frame coming away from the wall in our house. This window faces east and gets a fair beating from rain and other weather. We noticed that the bottom of the window frame was coming away from the wall on the inside of the house. The wood frame was also warping away from the window on the outside of the house. I caulked up the window and primed the cracked wood frame on the outside. Miraculously, the frame sealed itself back to the wall on the inside. I think this was because it didn't rain for quite some time and we live in a desert climate.

It rained quite hard one day last week and we noticed the frame is again coming away from the wall. I tried to attach a photo but the uploader isn't working. Obviously the damage has something to do with moisture but I'm not sure how to begin to fix it. Do we need to replace the whole window frame on the inside and outside? Does anyone have any more information on what could be causing this? Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Forum Topic Moderator

TN

08-13-14, 02:46 AM   #2  
pics would be helpful - http://www.doityourself.com/forum/el...-pictures.html

How old is the house? are the windows original to the house? How is the house constructed, wood or masonry? what type of siding?

retired painter/contractor avid DIYer

UT

08-13-14, 08:50 AM   #3  
Sorry, I've been struggling getting a photo on here. Here's a link to my photobucket

http://i1235.photobucket.com/albums/...ps996cfd3f.jpg

The window frame both inside and outside is wood. The house was built in the 50s. The windows don't seem like the original ones, I'm guessing they're probably from the 70s or 80s. The outside of the house is brick. Thank you so much for your help!

Forum Topic Moderator

TN

08-13-14, 10:53 AM   #4  
Hard to tell from just the one pic but it could be that the wood is expanding/contracting with humidity changes causing the casing/stool to be tight/loose.

You said you caulked the window on the outside, did that include caulking the window to the brick? Have you inspected the brick for any voids in the mortar joints?

retired painter/contractor avid DIYer

Search this Thread