Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Help measuring for replacement windows

IN

08-21-14, 07:41 AM   #1  
Help measuring for replacement windows

Hi all,

First time poster here, really have learned lots from reading other posts. I am looking to replace the original windows in my late 1970's house.

I have read quite a bit about how to measure for the replacement windows, but I'm stuck because my windows look different than the typical ones shown elsewhere. They don't have an easy to remove inside stop. These windows have an aluminum track that the windows slide up and down in. I realize this track will be removed when the sashes are removed. But will the replacement window need to fit inside the jamb/frame piece that the metal track is stapled to, or do I need to remove the interior trim/casing and then remove this jamb/frame piece?

Not sure "jamb/frame piece" is the right word, but I'm hoping the picture help. I just really want to get the right measurements!

Thanks so much for your help!Name:  window pic1.jpg
Views: 213
Size:  18.7 KB

Sponsored Links
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation

VA

08-21-14, 08:09 AM   #2  
In your case you measure from vertical jamb to jamb face.
Look and see if those tracks are just stapled in place.
Look like old Anderson windows.
If so I lower the top sash and pry the track out on one side at the top, once that's free raise both sashes and pry out the bottom part to snap off the staples.
Should now be able to put the two sashes together and yank with both hands on the side that's free and the track and sashes will come right out.
Then just remove the other track.

IN

08-21-14, 08:32 AM   #3  
Thanks, Joe! That's very helpful! And yes, the tracks are only stapled into the jamb, so they should come out easy. Glad to hear I don't need to remove the interior trim casing to do this job! Thanks for the help!

Search this Thread