Exterior Door installation

Old 08-26-14, 07:31 AM
Exterior Door installation

Not really sure where to start for replacing this door. I have never worked on a house with siding.

Does anyone know if this will be very complicated or is it a matter of removing the wood trim, prying frame out of opening...etc like on a brick house.

Hoping this will be an easy 3-4 hour job. Any input would be helpful thank you.

Name:  door.jpg
Views: 407
Size:  29.0 KB

Name:  door2.jpg
Views: 345
Size:  42.4 KB

Sponsored Links
Old 08-26-14, 10:22 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Upvotes Received: 73
Welcome to the forums!

I assuming you are replacing with a prehung door ??

There shouldn't be much difference between installing it with siding versus brick. You'll need to cut the caulking along the siding.

Old 08-26-14, 10:34 AM
Group Moderator
Upvotes Received: 38
Any plan to address that crumbling concrete in front of the door?

Old 08-26-14, 10:38 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Upvotes Received: 73
Good point Mitch! never a better time to rip out that failing concrete and pour a new threshold
What's with the pipe running across the edge of the patio?

Old 08-26-14, 11:40 AM
THANKS FOR THE INPUT!! That's what I figured, I was hoping I wouldn't have to cut any siding although I have the reciprocating saw handy just in case. Hopefully it will all go smoothly

That is a hose that runs from the front of the house so I have access to water in the back (don't ask, older house, only faucet is in the front )

I have plans to redo the concrete AFTER I install the door of course! I would think that would be something to do after installation......

Old 08-26-14, 05:05 PM
Group Moderator
Upvotes Received: 127
My 2 cents is that's not the best place for concrete, and it will not last. Frost heave will break it up eventually. IMO you should probably frame out the rough opening and replace any subfloor as needed if it's rotten, trying to get it as level as you reasonably can. Then cover the bottom of the rough opening and the underside of the door sill area with a window and door flashing tape so that it's weather proof. You would do all this in conjunction with tearing out the door... then set the door on top of it, into a heavy bead of sealant.

Installing the door will only be easy if the opening is the right size, and if the existing door is plumb and level. If the old door is out of level you will need to cut the siding back (w/ a skilsaw, not a sawzall).

As a rule of thumb, a 36" prehung door (with brickmould) will usually have outside trim that measures 40" x 83 1/4". a 32" door would have trim that's 36 x 83 1/4"... and so on. These measurements will leave room to mount a standard sized storm door, if desired.

So you could measure your opening, the width from siding to siding, and the height, from subfloor to top of trim... and see how close you are to that. Then set a level on the door and see how level and/or plumb it is. That will tell the tale.