Exterior Door Waterproofing problem

Old 08-29-14, 09:23 PM
Exterior Door Waterproofing problem

Recently have begun replacing an exterior door. The old door threshold was very rotten but also was set into the concrete slab outside the door. With the new door I have tried to raise it up so that the threshold would be level with the concrete, but this causes the problem that I now have a gap in the concrete right in front of the door. I am looking at ways to stop water from pooling into this gap and then going into the house.

Name:  P1000472.jpg
Views: 1769
Size:  24.7 KBName:  P1000471.jpg
Views: 1877
Size:  24.0 KBName:  P1000470.jpg
Views: 5612
Size:  31.4 KB

Sponsored Links
Old 08-29-14, 10:22 PM
Group Moderator
If that's a piece of pressure treated wood, I hope the aluminum has been isolated from the PT so that the 2 aren't touching. I would probably fill the void with some vinyl patch until it's within 1/4" of the surface, then once it's dry, fill the remaining void with a tube of self leveling joint sealant, such as Loctite S20 Polyurethane. Note that if your cement in front of the door isn't level and you overfill the joint, the sealant will seek its own level and will ooze out. Creating a dam with some clean silica sand is sometimes advisable.

Old 08-29-14, 10:27 PM
what would you use to isolate the PT from the aluminum? also does the PT need anything between it and the vinyl patch?

Old 08-29-14, 10:38 PM
Group Moderator
You can set the door on a foam threshold sealer -or- staple foam sill sealer to the bottom of the door or else you could get some window and door flashing tape and cover the treated wood with that before setting the door into its bed of sealant. Some guys will make a type of sill pan by using an 8" wide strip of flashing tape... cut half of the paper backing off... tape that half to the rough sill... then on the interior side of the sill fold the other 4" back onto itself so that the paper backing is facing up... then peel it off so that the sticky side is UP... then set the door right onto that. The flashing tape is then sealed to the bottom of the door and as long as the ends are sealed with butyl, water can't get inside.

A sill pan is the "best" way to keep water from getting under a door... or though the rough opening spaces on either side of the door... but very few people use them. The inner flange is often difficult to hide, depending on your flooring. They require a base shoe or something similar to trim the inside of the door at the floor to cover up that inner sill pan flange.

The PT doesn't "need" to be isolated from the vinyl patch, but a piece of thin foam wouldn't hurt. It should all get covered by the sealant you put on top.