Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Replacing metal window buck but no lintel to support brick veneer

IL

09-06-14, 11:05 AM   #1  
Replacing metal window buck but no lintel to support brick veneer

Hello,

I am replacing a metal window buck that was poured into my concrete basement wall. The home has an exterior brick veneer that rests on the concrete foundation wall, and was also resting on the metal buck. I cut the buck out, and was expecting to find a lintel above it that supported the brick veneer, but there wasn't one. My guess is that the metal buck was acting as the lintel, so now I need to provide some other form of support. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Sponsored Links
Forum Topic Moderator

TN

09-06-14, 11:58 AM   #2  
Welcome to the forums!

How wide is the window? a pic or two might be helpful - http://www.doityourself.com/forum/el...-pictures.html

retired painter/contractor avid DIYer

IL

09-06-14, 12:38 PM   #3  
Here are some pics from the outside. The opening is about 32" wide. Let me know if you need any other info and I'll get it.

Name:  Picture1.jpg
Views: 1713
Size:  49.9 KB
Name:  Picture2.jpg
Views: 3620
Size:  40.4 KB

Group Moderator

NE

09-06-14, 12:56 PM   #4  
The lintel is that straight strip of metal immediately below the bricks.

Forum Topic Moderator

TN

09-06-14, 02:19 PM   #5  
Yep, that's it it wouldn't hurt to wire brush it down and apply a coat of oil base primer and top coat.

IL

09-06-14, 03:06 PM   #6  
Don't let the rust fool you, it came from the window buck I removed. There is no lintel there (I just hit a spot with a wire brush to make sure). When the foundation was poured, the window buck was poured in so the top was covered by about 1" of concrete. So, it is possible that the lintel is there and covered by 1" of concrete. But if so, then it would terminate 1/2 way up the brick on each side which didn't make sense to me. I would expect the lintel to rest on top of the bricks on the side of the opening.

Forum Topic Moderator

TN

09-07-14, 03:47 AM   #7  
That sure looks like a steel lintel to me it's a piece of angle iron set under/behind the brick.

IL

09-07-14, 06:11 PM   #8  
There isn't a way to check behind the brick, or even under it, without breaking out about 1" of concrete the was poured into the buck. The veneer is sitting on that concrete, so I don't want to remove it until I am ready to finish the job, meaning a need a lintel ready. I looked at the front edge and hit it with a wire wheel, but no metal was found. There are also no weep holes that I can see and it doesn't look like a lintel was set in a mortar joint as the top of the opening is 1/2 way up a brick. Since the buck was fairly thick gauge metal, I think it served as the lintel in the brick veneer. My thought is that now I need to tear out a few courses of brick and put one in, unless anyone has a better idea.

CANADA

09-15-14, 06:46 PM   #9  
What did you end up doing?
I have the same type of window buck. My house was built in the late 80's in the Toronto area. I got a quote for some windows and the sales man suggested putting in a insert. I haven't done it yet but ideally I didn't want to leave the steel frame. With no lintel all I see is problems with no support on that window. Even though it's only 32"

IL

09-20-14, 08:36 AM   #10  
I think I am going to use glass block, which should provide enough structural support. I bought a pre-fab insert from HD, but it will be a couple weeks before it arrives. I'll post after everything is done.

Group Moderator

NE

09-20-14, 02:20 PM   #11  
If its a conrete foundation that continues up and around the window there could be rebar above the window in place of a lintel.

Search this Thread