Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Painting textured masonite doors (interior)

PA

09-07-14, 09:38 AM   #1  
Painting textured masonite doors (interior)

I have several unpainted masonite doors. They've never been painted. I realize I will need to remove them all to paint them, however, the big box guy said i need to sand and spray them. They do have a wood grain effect....

1) If I sand them wont that screw up the "grain".

2) If I can't brush or roll them, what size compressor and spray gun will I need?

3) What type of primer should I use?

4) What type of paint?

Sponsored Links
Forum Topic Moderator

CAL

09-07-14, 11:42 AM   #2  
Are these slab doors or panel doors??

1) If I sand them wont that screw up the "grain".

I can't see why they would need sanded.

2) If I can't brush or roll them, what size compressor and spray gun will I need?

With a good brush and roller, you can achieve spray quality results (or better), especially on embossed grain where it's a little forgiving.

3) What type of primer should I use?

I'm surprised they weren't primed at factory. Is this bare Masonite?
Please wait for advice on that.

4) What type of paint?

Latex Enamel. I would use semi gloss.

Brian
Cal Contractor

Forum Topic Moderator

TN

09-07-14, 11:42 AM   #3  
Masonite doors paint beautifully and while spraying is quicker, you can get a nice job with a brush or even a brush and roller. The heel and toe of the door [edges] will require a bit of sanding but the front/back of the door just need a light sanding to break any 'glaze' that might be on them.

While it's best to prime them with an enamel undercoater, I've painted 1,000s of them without using a primer [usually have to go back and add another coat to the heel and toe.

They can be painted with oil base, latex or waterborne enamel. Oil base whites will yellow over time, cheap latex enamels are prone to stick or peel [quality latex enamels are a lot better] Latex doesn't dry to as hard a film as oil base does. Waterborne [my favorite] enamels dry almost as hard as oil base but don't yellos.

retired painter/contractor avid DIYer

PA

09-07-14, 12:07 PM   #4  
I believe they are primed from factory - but I was told they needed primer...

They are panel doors

Forum Topic Moderator

TN

09-07-14, 02:16 PM   #5  
They have a factory primer but it is better to reprime them although I've applied enamel directly to the factory primer many times [due to time/money] with good results. The vast majority of masonite doors I've painted were sprayed, a brush/roller may not cover the factory primer with one coat.

retired painter/contractor avid DIYer

Search this Thread